The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Green v Mundine: more than just a boxing match > Comments

Green v Mundine: more than just a boxing match : Comments

By Dave Smith, published 24/5/2006

Boxing: it’s like life - brutal and beautiful at the same time.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I didn't see this fight and I am not really a boxing fan. To me, the interest is in the figure of 'Choc' Mundine. Was there ever an Australian sporting champion who generates so much hostility and resentment from the Australian public? The attitude towards Choc was captured in an article by Rebecca Wilson in the Sun-Herald last Sunday. Wilson reckoned that the crowd at the fight was 10:1 in favour of Green, hoping he would give Choc a hiding. A few years ago, when Choc lost a title (?) fight to a German boxer (Ottke?) the Australian public's reaction could be summed up as 'good, he had it coming'.

Wilson's article recounted Choc's public statements about his aboriginality and Muslim faith. I think Choc's parading of this is what many Aussie sport fans hate. They are not known for high levels of religious or racial tolerance. A near equivalent is Muhammed Ali, who also paraded his black skin colour and Muslim faith, as well as the "I am the greatest' line. Many hated Ali at the time and applauded when he was stripped of his titles and jailed for refusing army induction at the time of the Vietnam war, a stance that now seems heroic. Ali is now revered as one of the greatest ever sporting figures and a man who stuck to his principles.

Choc clearly models his public persona on Ali. Neither his boxing skills or public speaking/clowning skills are anywhere near Ali's. (Neither are anyone else's). I have to admit that some of Choc's utterances are downright silly. Nevertheless, he is a skilled boxer, probably deserves to win a world title. He definitely deserves the respect and support of the Australian public, big mouth or not. The 'more humility, please' line run by Rebecca Wilson and others is rubbish. Choc is a champ in the toughest of sports and needs to do and say whatever it takes for motivation and self-belief.

Good luck, Choc. I hope you go onto bigger and better things, and make your people and the Aussie public proud.
Posted by PK, Wednesday, 24 May 2006 10:21:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Boxing is cruel, mean, miserable, brutal, uncivilised behaviour - NOT a sport at all- usually practised by grunting 'knuckles- dragging-on-the-ground' neanderthals and/or ex thugby players. numbat
Posted by numbat, Wednesday, 24 May 2006 10:52:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At last an article about sport on OLO. I swoon, am near to fainting, am ..... plonk. Wha! where am I? Oh yeah.

Rancitas, as the world's worst (that is crapededest) street fighter, would like to thank Dave for a great read (my jaw isn't even made of glass but that brittle plasticy stuff that they package sprouts in and,yes, Rancitas is famous for being the yob who once, whilst a bit tiddly thought a petrol bowzer bumped into him on purpose and was having a go at him, so Rancitas took the bowzer on -- the bowzer somehow won. "Go Well Go Shell. I'll give you go (expletive) go shu-e-ll I'll have ya', ya' pushie baarsturd."

Trouble now is every one wants to fight you when are the world's crapededest street fighter.

Life is like boxing - some one is always trying to knock you down. Still standing (although I do have an aversion to petrol bowzers and have been known to cross the street to avoid them).

Thanks Dave Smith - great read. (HASSY)

THE WARRIOR’S CODE
(Written by Dropkick Murphys)

You're the fighter you've got the fire
The spirit of a warrior, the champion's heart
You fight for your life because the fighter never quits
You make the most of the hand you're dealt
Because the quitter never wins
No!

You were born to box in a city that's seen their share
Mello, Ryan, Carney, among them your photo proudly hangs there
Above the bar in the Gaelic Club
They tell the story of a throwback
With the heart of a lion
They salute your glory

It's another murderous night
Another left hook from hell
A bloody war on the boardwalk
And the kid from Lowell rises to the bell

CHORUS:
Micky
It's a warrior's code
Micky
He's got the warrior's soul

CHORUS

This song is about Massachusetts' own Micky Ward, a boxing legend who defines the heart and soul of the sport.

ENDS
Posted by rancitas, Wednesday, 24 May 2006 11:03:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is nothing beautiful about boxing nor the people who support it as a sport. The sooner it is banned the better.
Posted by rossco, Wednesday, 24 May 2006 11:01:23 PM
I am too beautiful. And numbat my nuckles dragging on the ground is great for waking me up when I am sleep walking.
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 25 May 2006 3:21:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
six years of beat-ups and put-downs from those looking to see the smart-mothed flashy blackfella go down.

to all the green fans, no what huh?

SILENCE, ha ha nice to hear.
Posted by kalalli, Thursday, 25 May 2006 7:04:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy