The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Walking the tightrope with Indonesia > Comments

Walking the tightrope with Indonesia : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 11/4/2006

Australian actions which might fuel secessionism are always going to be resented by Indonesia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
@BOAZ_David:

Indeed there is no international law that obligates "one man one vote" in plebiscites. Therefore, the limited franchise system of 1969 referendum is readily accepted and endorsed by the UN supervisors. The reason of picking 1028 people is quite clear: after 150 years of Dutch "rule", only these amount of West Papuans were able to read or write, or know what is Indonesia and what is Netherlands. The rest of the population at that time were still living in Stone Age, they don't even knew what is Indonesia or what is "Papua"/"Irian".

If we take comparison, UK elections until early 1930s disenfrachised women. Elections in large areas of US until 1960s disallow blacks. Australian elections until 1970s did not allow Aboriginal participation. Are you also questioning the legality of these clearly racially-discriminating elections and want to annul all the results?
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Thursday, 13 April 2006 9:16:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PTBI says "Australian elections until 1970s did not allow Aboriginal participation."

Wow! Wow! Is it true?
Well, on the contrary Papuans always participate in the Indonesian general elections. And we know that the Papuans always make the voting day as if it was a Big Day, a day to celebrate.
How different then, the fate of the Aborigins and the Papuans. I should learn more on this. Does anyone here know a good reading for comparison of the Indonesian Papuans with Australians Aborigines?

I found in the Australian media that the 'genocide' in Papua has killed about 300.000 people. It is a claim, but the media make it as if it is a fact. I also found in an Indonesian website says that the white in Australia has killed about 3 million of indigenous Aborigines in centuries. I do not know which figure is more ridiculous, though.

I wonder why people like Lubis who support independence for Papua would choose Australians to ask for help for their cause. Do they think Australia is the best role model on how to treat indigenous people?!
Posted by Ningtyas, Thursday, 13 April 2006 1:14:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ningtyas:

Indeed, that some Australians have the gall to claim "superior morality" over Indonesia is completely absurd remembering all the genocide and oppression they've committed on Aborigines.
Posted by Proud to be Indonesian, Friday, 14 April 2006 1:26:24 AM
Proud to be Indonesian

Looking over your comments, we can definitely see that you are proud to be Indonesian.

Are you currently studying or residing in Australia?

We are also proud to be Australian and welcome all who have the opportunity to have a computer online to participate on this Australian Forum.

Women had to earn the vote as well and we cannot all be held accountable for some of histories events. Women and children, no matter what culture you are from, remain the consistantly vulnerable.

We will not achieve harmony by arrogance all round.
Posted by Suebdootwo, Friday, 14 April 2006 2:12:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To Mr Realist

I am not sure what you mean by “our” cause. I am an Australian and “my” cause is, the welfare of the Australian people comes first in my country.

Yeah, I am a racist and a bigot, so what? I could point out that everybody else on this planet is too. Even those most ardent in waffling on about the evils of racism are the ones who most obviously despise the entire white race and Western civilisation in general. I really do get a kick out of pointing this out.

Your claim that I must have low self esteem, and that must have been bullied as a kid, is just as big an act of pre judged bigotry as my constant references to black people as generally not being real bright. Get it through your head that everybody makes prejudgements about people from other groups whom they consider to be separate to their own. Your position is a contradiction. You can’t stereotype me and then say that I can not do it also. Hostility to any group of outsiders is fundamentally an act of racism, and everybody does that.

The constant refrain we get from the trendy lefties is that anybody who looks down on anybody else is just a ill educated cretin. Or, in your case, a person who was bullied at school who has low self esteem. But they (and you) can not see your own contradiction. It's like one part of your brains critical analysis circuit is switched off.

If you think that my position on Papua is wrong, then tell me why it is wrong, and I will happily throw it back at you. Just calling me “unAustralian” does not rate as a reasoned argument.
Posted by redneck, Friday, 14 April 2006 7:51:44 AM
Well said Suebdootwo

Many posters here need to lower the arrogance and increase the communication.

PTBI has made many valid points, however much is lost due to his attacks.

I have no doubt that time will reveal whether Western Papua wants independence from Indonesia or just merely more autonomy in their own affairs.

The sight of the young children and mothers among the 42 refugees hardly fit the picture of 'terrorist' and none appear remotely 'barbaric'.

PTBI should note that one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter - its all a matter of perspective.

History will also determine the kowtowing nature of the Howard government with the latest tightening of asylum rules.
Posted by Scout, Friday, 14 April 2006 7:52:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy