The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Walking the tightrope with Indonesia > Comments

Walking the tightrope with Indonesia : Comments

By Gary Brown, published 11/4/2006

Australian actions which might fuel secessionism are always going to be resented by Indonesia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
According to Peter King from University of Sydney, the Papuan asylum seekers have been involving in killing security forces in the recent weeks in Jayapura.
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2006/s1610614.htm

Today's news reports another attack. Those separatis rebels attacked a military post yesterday, left two soldiers dead (buthcered/mutilated), one soldier seriously wounded, and a student shot. Two of the rebels also died in the attack.

Perhaps just like Mr Wanggai and his friends, the rebels who involved in the killing will also flee to Australia to seek asylum.
I guess just as in the case of Mr. Wanggai, many people in Australia will also gladly receive them, won't you?
Posted by Ningtyas, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 3:35:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the Indonesian Gov't is doing the right thing by the West Papuans, where's the problem? I suspect the West Papuans are upset at having their people and countrys' resources raped by a large group of stand over merchants.The Aussie Gov't wouldn't put up with this sort of crap in Timor and yet bows to pressure from these thugs.Of course the Americans aren't helping much with Newmont raping the gold resources nearby.It seems that human rights are fast becoming a distant second to corporate rights, which is expected if you live in China.These simple living people who have survived thousands of years in their little piece of paradise are being subjugated by corporate greed. R I P Democracy
Posted by aspro, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 4:05:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gary..You are amazing. You leave my head spinning here man. What I see in this article is a load of indecisive nonsense. It makes as much sense as your previous article on Iraq. Make a decision Gary.
One minute you fall down at John Howard’s feet , next, while still in that pose , crawl off to Indonesia. Which murderous team will you play with?
Why not also do a suck to the "Poms" with their murderous arms sales to Indonesia. The Yankees likewise. And , of course, Australia, with our joint military exercises with Indonesia, and sale of used weapons, in the time of occupation of East Timor.
Who were the guns bombs and planes aimed at Gary. You are a liar and an apologist for the murderous west.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 4:56:26 PM
I find this a thoughtful and challenging article.
Surely as always the obligation of one who would be a friend is to counsel. Here Australia is party to UHNCR and are thus obliged to accept refugees as defined. These Papuans apparently qualify and taking them on temporary visa subject to confirmation is acting legally. The Indonesian’s will have to be happy with that.
Perhaps we should have done as much in counselling America concerning Iraq but then the hype of actions contrary to common decency was very high as was the unreal expectation of annihilation. (we did accept one or two of these fearful people did we not even though they came by passage through other countries, thus showing our compassion ?) Here we have done the same and in the absence of America again seeing Indonesia as a bulwark against or seat of communism, interference is unlikely. As the writer suggests politely pointing out behaviour we do not like, satisfying our honourable moral standing, we can do little else. Though the Consul claiming ethnic or rather muddying ethnic data to suit his case and claiming a democratic result for the act of free choice is a bit much but America has done much more as has the UK (and France Russia and on and on) and we have happily gone along even on occasion offered praise for the stance taken. So I suggest we ramp up the entertainment dial provided by commerce and leave delicate questions to our undoubtedly honest and well meaning superiors!
Posted by untutored mind, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 5:44:35 PM
Ningtyas, I hope Australia will accept more asylum seekers like Mr Wanggai. Your lateline reference proved enlightening. http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2006/s1610614.htm
You refer to West Papuans being involved in killing of security forces. However you failed to mention the following from the same article:
· How Theys Eliay who was to represent a new autonomous West Papua was assassinated 6 years ago by the Indonesian military.(hopes of autonomy dashed)
· Military operations in the highlands have left thousands homeless and an unknown number killed.
· Transmigration from other parts of Indonesia mean Non Melanesians now account for 40% of the population of West Papua.
· HIV Aids is being brought into West Papua from HIV infected prostitutes.

Your selective use of media doesn't fool us! Irian Jaya is dead. It is a new West Papua that must be formed
Posted by Lubis, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 6:47:05 PM
@Lubis
"You said : Ningtyas, I hope Australia will accept more asylum seekers like Mr Wanggai."

You do? I wonder if many Australians share that belief of yours.
That's why the Indonesian president says, we need to review Indonesia-Australia co-operation on illegal migrant. As an ordinary Indonesian I think the message by granting the visas is clear, Australia is now an open place for asylum seekers, be it from Papua or Middle East or elsewhere.

Come to Australia, everyone! It is open now!
Posted by Ningtyas, Tuesday, 11 April 2006 7:06:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy