The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abuse of elderly people > Comments

Abuse of elderly people : Comments

By Kym Durance, published 15/3/2006

Community and nursing staff attitudes make elderly people soft targets for abuse.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
This is only a short comment. I take Kym's point precisely, especially about the more subtle forms of abuse, this happens every where, not just to the elderly. There are always those who look for a soft target, those without either their own means to stand up for themselves or another to do it for them. But what strikes me, and what Kym left out of the article is the fact ( please correct me if I'm wrong here ) that society's opinion on the matter is well reflected in the wages and conditions of the workers in that industry. I could be wrong but i even detected a slight in Kym's comments about the current pool.
Posted by tillietee, Wednesday, 15 March 2006 2:41:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well in this user pays environment may be the Liberals want a return to the Poor House conditions of the 19th century. They should stop being hypocrites and introduce euthanasia for the non-productive members of society who can't pay their own way. Isn't that what the Nazi's did?

A sad tale, will our government ever again implement a caring social safety net for those members of our society who can no longer care for themselves?
Posted by billie, Wednesday, 15 March 2006 2:54:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tillietee - my thoughts on salary and wages paid in the industry are reflected in article that appeared in OLO last year - 30th March and listed at the bottom of this piece -

if any one read anything like a slight in my scribblings it reflects limitations in my capacity to get my message across more than my opinion of the present pool of workers available to the industry whom I hold in high regard - if I intended any slight at all It would be towards a society that seems to disregard the value their elderly memebers

Kym
Posted by sneekeepete, Wednesday, 15 March 2006 2:59:24 PM
This article referred mostly to the institution of the elderly and the progress that has been made. There was a small reference made to other living situations where abuse is found. I have worked with the elderly in three types of situations, nursing homes, home care, and my own relatives. What I find the most abhorrent is the family member who manipulates their parent using fear. Manipulation that is clearly nothing but a ploy to part them from their money. The elderly parent spends their savings on some large purchase and expects the son or daughter to fulfill a promise of care in return. I have seen this situation go horribly wrong. It is the elderly parent who suffers. Once the money is spent, it's gone. There is usually no recourse for the elderly parent but to count their blessings that they were not sucked in further.

The next situation that is equally abhorrent is the medical doctor. I've been an advocate for many elderly clients who felt that they were being patronised by their doctors, and never got their questions fully answered.

In fact I've often been patronised by medical professionals myself when I asked to many questions.

Just because you can't see or hear very well anymore doesn't mean you are stupid. This is often the way the elderly are treated. Like they are stupid.

Fred and I can't hear as well as we used to.

I don't look forward to my own not to distant future.
Posted by Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist, Wednesday, 15 March 2006 5:59:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This sort of thing makes my blood boil. The elderley are VULNERABLE. Its almost like they become the child and the young become the adult. Unfortunately many just dont embrace that role with responsibility. Sometimes children have much anger and unresolved issues which manifest when they have power and control. Very sad.

Goes to the overall break down of compassion and empathy. The loss of respect. The dog-eat-dog, screw-thy-neighbour, type of opportunism that permeates. An opportunism which transcends political divide.

RESPECT YOUR ELDERS! And teach your kids to do same. We will all be old one day and heaven help the miserable carrier of past malevolence when too old and frail to do anything independently.

Try this... just be nice to the elderly. Say hello, have a conversation, smile when passing one by. And, as corney as it may sound, try and do a good deed for one, regularly.
Posted by trade215, Thursday, 16 March 2006 4:49:22 PM
Kym

Many thanks for a timely and vital article. As a health professional I concur with all of your assertions.

My last position was in Aged Person's Mental Health. The majority also had severe physical problems. I had moved from another state to take up the position. I was apalled by what I saw and heard (re staff behaviours).

Residents were treated as if they did not have a brain - let alone having emotions and a soul.

Staff talked about residents as if they were not present. Or they talked to them as if they were children. I said to a staff member one day: "Would you talk to your Mother like that if she were in the same position as X?" The reply: "Of course not!" I further asked: "Why then, are you talking to X in derogatory terms?". There was no reply. From thence on, staff treated me as if I was an ogre. I was on the patient team - and the staff were against me. It was heartbreaking.

When I had an accident assisting a very disturbed elderly man from falling and hitting his head, the nursing supervisor told me that I should have let him fall (under Work Health and Safety!).

I did not have to resign. My injury put me out to pasture.

I will never forget working in that horrible place.

Regards
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 16 March 2006 9:55:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy