The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Feminism and raunch culture > Comments

Feminism and raunch culture : Comments

By Darlene Taylor, published 23/5/2006

How should feminism respond to the sexing-up of femininity?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Also, see this excellent review of the book: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/21/012936.php
Posted by lauzy, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 1:34:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Darlene, I wonder if you could tell readers what is your source for the assertion that Sheila Jeffreys (or that other "dinosaur" Andrea Dworkin) claims that "all heterosexual sex is rape". If you cannot do so, I think you should withdraw the comment. Any book or article by Jeffreys or Dworkin, plus page number, would be sufficient. You might also like to provide evidence that women wear minis and stilettos as a reaction to listening to Jeffreys.
Posted by isabelberners, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 4:23:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is some controversy about this. Dworkin has never expressly written "all heterosexual sex is rape" but some argue that it is implicit in her works. Check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercourse_%28book%29

In response to the article, in my opinion if you wear a short dress then it is okay for people to look at your legs. However, it is not an excuse for someone to touch your legs and definitely not to force you to have sex. The clothes you wear are nothing to do with your consent or otherwise to sex - except maybe a "yes - but not with you" T-shirt ;-)
Posted by Pedant, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 5:51:40 PM
I get the feeling this article might be missing it's last paragraph.

If the final quote is representative of most girls in that generation then it seems that feminism has a lot of work to do. Surely seeking validation through the opion of males is not a sign of empowerment.

Perhaps the next generation will go against raunch. While Nina Hagens Unbeschreiblich Weiblich and Pank carried the message home to us teenagers in Holland, modern equivalents such as Sarah Jones' Your Revolution don't seem to make the airwaves. Perhaps that is Australian conservatism, a friend got banned from radio after playing Robin Archers Menstruation Blues in the 80's.
Posted by gusi, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 6:20:36 PM
What it boils down to, I believe, is that women actually hate freedom of choice, but are only now coming to terms with it.

Feminism has given women the vote, equal-ish pay, and the right to dress as they wish - all of which were rightly welcomed as a simple recognition of natural justice - but it also came with the burden of self-determination. Beneath the facade of sexually empowered, career-ready alpha-grrls, women still want what they've always wanted: slavery.

When the power-suited CEO gets home, she doesn't want to be met by a partner who'll respect her and treat her like an equal. She wants a big strong man there to tell her the rules; to put her in a playpen where she can relax, knowing her mate will protect her from the scary, unpredictable world outside as long as she doesn't pull on the leash too much.

That's not inherent to women. It's an identity crisis which afflicts anyone who is suddenly freed from their shackles, only to find themselves without the clear-cut rules which had always defined their life.

What sticks in the craw of old-school feminists is that the girls they raised have given in to that sheepish impulse almost entirely.

Feminists of the seventies wound up playing a strange pea-and-thimble game with themselves and the opposite sex. The two rules were a) no woman could openly admit that "goods and chattels" suited her just fine, but b) deep down, every woman knows that respect, admiration, and honesty don't make a man attractive; they make him a wimp.

All we're seeing in "raunch culture" is an impulse that's far more feminine than feminist: be an object that boys want to own, and boys will give you structure and security.
Posted by Sancho, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 7:34:46 PM
Women really want slavery hey Sancho? At least you are brave enough to say what you think, but you are way off the mark. Yes, women don't generally go for wimps, but real women with education and opportunities don't go for neanderthal losers either. And I think you will find that although women like strong men, they are pretty keen on their freedom too - the two are not incompatible.

I don't mean to be mean, but to me your post sounds like you have been on the receiving end of a "you're a nice guy but I just want to be friends" situation. Which can be pretty damn annoying, but just because a woman liked someone else (who was more of a caveman than you) doesn't mean all women want to be slaves.
Posted by pickledherring, Tuesday, 23 May 2006 9:02:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy