The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Danish cartoons: Muslims in their own Dark Age > Comments

Danish cartoons: Muslims in their own Dark Age : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 6/2/2006

Irfan Yusuf argues the worst way for Muslims to react to the Danish cartoons is with violence

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. 35
  10. All
>>How far some of today’s Muslims are from the golden example of the man in whose name they are causing so much destruction.<<

You've got to be kidding us - when was the last time you read your Qur'an Irfan?

Before you start cleaning up the acts of your religious people how about cleaning up the book that has started it all?

The only reason they have that Mob mentality is because of your prophet’s example of pillage, rape, slavery, adultery, incest, war, etc…

Are you reading/preaching a different islam? Shame on you!
Posted by coach, Monday, 6 February 2006 11:13:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Irf, you have put it very well. But doesn't' this and other actions by religious supporters of all factions, make someone with your understanding, question the veracity of you beleifs.

Considering the history of monotheistic religions, and their past and current hell bent race towards annihilation of everyone, doesn't that make you wonder as to whether there can ever be a peaceful outcome or future under the guise of religious peace.

Sadly this country will become involved in this form of action in the not to distant future, because of the pathetic approach of governments and the constant conflicts between monotheistic factions in their desire for power and control

But then again Irf, I feel that you get a bit of macabre pleasure from watching as the rabid evangelists crawl over each other to place blame.
Posted by The alchemist, Monday, 6 February 2006 11:14:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting food for thought Irfan Yusuf, that may help self reflection from both perspectives.
Posted by Shell, Monday, 6 February 2006 11:34:44 AM
Another insightful piece Irfan for those willing to see.
Posted by Kenny, Monday, 6 February 2006 11:39:04 AM
I thought Irfan Yusuf's article was a very good one and quite balanced. Many of the Christian faith are good at pointing to some of the passages in the Qu'ran that are harsh but their Old Testament has some rather unpleasant passages also.

This article mentions a few of them http://www.religioustolerance.org/imm_bibl1.htm#geno

Even though I have no problems with cartoons I also believe that we shouldn't deliberately cause people to become upset by printing something that is deliberately offensive.

Muslims might like to watch the film The Life of Brian to show the irreverance some people in film have treated the Christian faith. It was just humour and hardly offensive. When this film was released people who didn't agree with it just didn't go and see it.

If you think a cartoon may offend you ... don't look at it.

Moderate Muslims like moderate Christians all are tarnished unfairly by the actions of the more extreme members of thier faiths.
Posted by Opinionated2, Monday, 6 February 2006 11:47:34 AM
Irf... no argument from me on the title of your topic....

Your opening paragraphs regarding the origins of the Crusades, is in fact a wonderful illustration of the terrible consequences of 'organized' religion, such as the RC, High Anglican churches and to a lesser extent the Lutherans, and also Islam.

The violence today, is no differnt really from the violence of yesterday, where popular feeling was capitalized on by powerful figures.

The Pope during the crusades, and Leaders of despotic regimes in Muslim countries today, where the 'common enemy' is a strong unifying and distracting force.

On the scene today though, you make the point and observation that the violence is the worst thing the Muslims can do. I agree, because while the Danish publisher has already apologised, it is falling on deaf ears in the Islamic world, thus confirming the very message of the cartoons.

The violence is a combination of motivations I suppose.

-An unconcious (though for some I'm sure it is also conscious) attempt to impose Islamic values on free western societies.
-A cry for recognition from helpless/powerless people.
-I also feel it is a natural outcome of the fundamental values of the religion, but having gone into that on numerous occasions, I won't repeat it again.

We certainly have a complex world right now. Some observations.

-Nat Geo chanel has a doco coming up "Countdown to Armageddon"
-Hamas elected, rejecting calls to moderate their 'death to Israel' stance
-Israel withholding funding.
-Saudi offering funding.
-USA in Iraq and the complication of the Cartoon controversy not helping.
-Global polarization over the cartoon issue.
-Iran seeking to go 'Nuclear'
-China...sitting..watching... waiting :)

blessings all.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 6 February 2006 12:06:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. 35
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy