The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > To baby or not to baby? > Comments

To baby or not to baby? : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 14/2/2006

Men need to be more involved in the debate around families, children and work.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
I share your concerns Davo. Have I written anything to indicate otherwise?

But I fail to see how pushing for a higher birthrate in Australia is going to address that issue.

Can you help me understand this?
Posted by Ludwig, Sunday, 19 February 2006 1:59:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig,

you need to distinguish between numbers of people and environmental footprints. I am the father of 6 children, on a single income. I do not feel that my children go without, mind you, they do not have Foxtel, Playstations, Reboks, fashion clothes etc. Our energy bills and water bills etc are well below average household consumption levels etc.

I have a lovely house, but 15 years ago it was just a 'sh1tbox' on a relatively busy road that couldn't be given away and that the Banks wouldn't give me a loan for, even though I bought it for under the Vg's land value etc.

Needless to say, after many years of work, it is a nice place. But I didn't just walk into it. Nor did my family go on expensive holidays or any other number of trimming the cloth options that were necessary.

For all those people out there saying "we can't afford children yet..." try asking the question, "Am I prepared to go without (x, y & z) so that I can have them now?" As Kalweb's observations reveal, many children appear to be social acoutremonts that need to be provided for rather than people to love & care for.
Posted by Reality Check, Thursday, 23 February 2006 2:27:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just a follow up on 'value for money.'

My 3 year old goes to the local community preschool each Wednesday and was given the "Treasure box" where he is allowed to bring three things next week.

He raced into the house, pick up the first three (broken or part) toys he could fit in the box and has been pleased with himself ever since.
Trying to reason with him & tell him to take some 'proper' (ie unbroken) items fails to impress him.

Now, if he can only keep the mindset of not having to keep up with the Jones' of this world.

PS: Make sure you are in at least 3 community groups - you won't have time to waste money on self excess.
Posted by Reality Check, Thursday, 23 February 2006 2:34:01 PM
Reality Check

Thank goodness for people like you in our society! Good on you!

I have no doubt that your children will be forever grateful for your "generosity" - the generosity of your unconditional love and caring.

Your children will grow to be fine citizens who appreciate the "little" but more meaningful things in life, vis a vis: respect for themselves and other people, team work (six kids!), healthy competition, sharing and caring. They will know the value of hand-me-downs and they will not feel ashamed. They will be discoverers and adventurers. They will succeed without having to lie and cheat. They will succeed because they will know and appreciate your work ethic and your wife's work ethic - invaluable role models. I applaud you!

I am 58 years of age (feel 38). I would not trade my childhood for quids. We did not have TV until I was 17 years. We played sport++, chess, scrabble, cards, sang and played the piano. We did not get pocket money. We did stuff for Mum and Dad because we felt privileged to have them as parents. We climbed trees, had cubby houses, listened to the radio, had family picnics. We did not know what take-away food was (thank goodness). Friday nights were special. Dad would bring home some salted peanuts and Mum would make home-made hamburgers. What a life it was.

No wonder you call yourself Reality Check!
Cheers and all the best to your wife and children
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 23 February 2006 6:56:56 PM
Reality Check

Even if you are not a John Laws fan, the following is invaluable reading, and is more than likely the premise on which you base the rearing of your children.

Go to: johnlaws.com.au and click on Milestones. It is a wonderful piece.

Cheers
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Thursday, 23 February 2006 8:11:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy