The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > To baby or not to baby? > Comments

To baby or not to baby? : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 14/2/2006

Men need to be more involved in the debate around families, children and work.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
One factor has not been mentioned.

A large number of marriages end in divorce.

A majority of divorces are initiated by woman.

Even though the government is working towards improving the input of fathers into their children's lives, most children of divorces are raised by their mothers', mothers who often repartner, the new partner often taking over the 'father' role in the children's lives, excluding in some cases the biological father from that role.

However, fathers are also responsible for paying child support, the highest rate of which exceeds the independent rate payable for government student allowance.

So, the point is, as long as men are aware of the possibility of losing their children, but still having to pay support for them, they will be cautious about having children in the first place.
Posted by Hamlet, Tuesday, 14 February 2006 9:44:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I dont blame men for being cautious of making a family at all... they are on the downside of the feminist swing and seem to be copping it worse legally.

To be honist family law is beyond me i have no idea here... i have a few male friends though who have lost all financial hope and child access though divorces.

i.e. well to do men now living in actual flop houses from high payments and not ever seeing their kids, one guys new wifes income is calculated into his child payments along with his own income, plus many more.

then i have 2 female friends who got away from men, one for severe violence and another to protect her child against rape from the father and they have no help finacially or legally....these girls really needed help more than anyone i have known.

i have no idea of the gov budget available or system but to me it seems that it needs each case individually assesed, with out blanket rulings for all. its just to individual and volitile... as i say i have no idea how this could be managed. I do think its an area to invest tax money into trying to rectify.

as for us competing with islamists to hold our land its a dam sad reason to breed, even tho i agree its nessecary. more so i think new comers should be held to our lower breeding rates.

there are to many people and their problems in the world as it is.
Posted by meredith, Tuesday, 14 February 2006 10:55:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
BOAZ_David,

No, 2 is not enough with our aging population. But from your posts I can see that you don't have the clue of what it's like to suffer financially.

My wife and I don't even know that we could realistically afford one child – regardless of the baby bonus (when will politicians realise that throwing money at a problem doesn’t solve it?).

Now that the IR reforms are a certainty, we are considering writing-off the idea of having children completely. I am reluctant to have a child with no job security and less pay…and we’re not the only one’s who have been deterred by such reforms either.

With the middle and lower classes in society becoming poorer by the year vastly due to our current governments policies and priorities, the amount of people having children will be less and less now that we have a little thing called contraception. You can’t have it both ways mate. Either ensure that the “the battlers” get-by or we stop breeding. It’s that simple.

Feminism doesn’t help this problem either.
Posted by Jinx, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 12:28:29 AM
All governments like to tell us they are successfully managing the economy, but when my generation cannot afford (whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance) to have children before the age of 30, surely its evident that they have failed?
Posted by Stuart, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 4:11:37 AM
Hi Team

Jinx.. I do know that situation you describe.. I knew it when I was having children.. I had my first 2 in Sarawak, and had $10/week disposable income after rent and food. That was only through the good craces of those who gave, that we might live. I was a 'misho' (evil missionary :) Needless to say, we didn't have much in the way luxuries. By disposable, I mean thats 'all' there was for everything personal. I had a wonderful adventure though. I saw provision come in amazing ways, not just for us, but fellow team members also..

Nothing comes overnight, and I identify with your position. Don't let my 'have more babies' make u feel frustrated please.. I know we all have to work within our financial constraints.

The only way we survived having our 3rd baby, while single income family, was for my Mrs to do work at home, very boring and repetitious, but provided much needed extra income. Baby was looked after, by a mum at home, and income also coming in. You have around 4 yrs from birth to build up the finances if a mum works at home.

If the art is not so much an income producer at this stage, look around for outsourcable process work, from companies. Knock on doors.. eventually one will open. They have to pay up to $25+ per hour to agencies for casual workers, your mrs could offer herself at $15/hour :)

All things come on time to those patient enough to wait... I'll leave you with Pauls words from Philippians:4

[for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.]

Key words... 'Through Him' :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 5:35:56 AM
BOAZ_David,

Thanks for your inspirational words.

I have simple, inexpensive pleasures as my Christian upbringing tought me to enjoy what I've got and just be thankful for it.
Posted by Jinx, Wednesday, 15 February 2006 10:58:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy