The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Hajj: from pilgrimage to holiday > Comments

The Hajj: from pilgrimage to holiday : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 13/2/2006

The rise of affluence in Muslim cultures has impacted on the Islamic ritual of hajj during Ramadan.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
The article bravely casts a critical light on one of the most important rites-of passage in a Muslim's life. The Hajj pilgrimmage does seem to this ignorant outside observer to be rather devoid of any real meaning in modern times. In the age of cheap international travel it is no great test to get to the holy lands from anywhere in the world. Relatively wealthy Muslims can do the Hajj and tell themselves and perhaps more importantly those they wish to impress that they are good Muslims.

Do the ceremonies at the Hajj really encourage soul searching, self examination, an attempt to identify areas of self improvement, a sense of awareness of the individual and his place in the world, and a sense of Islam and its place in the world? Do the leaders and adherants ever examine whether or not their religion is a force for good in the world, discounting as measures of such an outcome the propagation of Islam or the pusuit of Jihad?

Unless the Hajj is an occasion for genuine reflection along these lines, it seems a bit perfunctory and pointless.

Having said all that, this opinion site does have rather a fixation with Islam. Where are similar opinion pieces about the other great religions of the world? Perhaps the publication this article is a bit of playing to the anti-Islamists that seem to populate the forums on this site.
Posted by PK, Monday, 13 February 2006 11:08:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On a more general postmodernist note ... I wonder if ANY of the old traditions of "pilgrimage" are worth anything these days? Personally, I always think that the desire for pilgrimage is somehow "hard wired" into our systems (by an "Intelligent Designer"? :-)) to help us get to know other people who share this small planet with us.

In regards to Islam specifically, I note that fasting during the Lunar month of Ramadan is compulsory for all Muslims. This means no food, drink or sex from break-of-dawn (often quite some time before sunrise), through until sunset each day.

I have one big problem with this: if the Prophet Muhummad gave the "final message" to all humans, what are the people living in or near the Arctic Circle to do when Ramadan falls in their Summer months (and they effectively have NO darkness in their day)?

The best answer I could ever get from any Islamic scholar was that they should "take the times for fasting from the nearest Muslim country" ... which simply begs the question.

IF Islam is "the final message for ALL Mankind", why cannot Scandinavian countries EVER be "Muslim countries"?

You will note that the Islamic world is situated around the globe's equatorial regions, where daylight remains around 12 hours per day throughout the year!

Regards, David (in Perth, Western Australia)
Posted by PerthWestern, Monday, 13 February 2006 12:54:47 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dave asks an interesting question.

What about this one. Given that Muslims when they pray, must face Mecca, given the spherical nature of the planet, aren't adherents therefore effectively praying out into space?

http://weekbyweek7.blogspot.com/
Posted by The Examiner, Monday, 13 February 2006 1:19:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not another bloody "round earth" adherent - next you'll be saying the earth revolves around the sun!

Personally I have no grief with this prescription (of facing Mecca), especially given the opposite side of the globe is deep in the South Pacific (where VERY few people would have the dilemma of whether to face East or West for the shortest route to Mecca). Maybe a few along the Canadian/Alaskan border have that problem, but given my previous posting, I'm guessing there aren't many resident Muslims that far North of the Equator!

In peace, David
Posted by PerthWestern, Monday, 13 February 2006 1:44:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dare I say - and yes I will probably get flack from the petals out there, but - Another nice pagan moslem story showing us unbelievers [see below] that moslems, in the main, are nice, peaceful people with a nice peaceful religion.
Funny he didn't mention the hate filled anti-Jewish and anti-western sermons that were and are delivered each time this pagan festival is held.

A leading imam- Hamid Ali - in the mosque where the July 7 bombers 'worshipped' has hailed their terrorist attack on London as a "GOOD" act,
Al-Faisal branded non-moslems as "cockroaches" ripe for extermination.
Fine, friendly, peaceful leaders eh? and they teach others and I bet they have also attended a haj. numbat
Posted by numbat, Monday, 13 February 2006 2:32:32 PM
Good on you Numbat, you have risen to the bait like a true anti-Islamist. Of course, there is nothing positive to say about Islam, is there? Not that you would admit to, anyway. I'm neither a Muslim nor a 'petal'. I just can't see where Muslim-bashing gets us anywhere.
Posted by PK, Monday, 13 February 2006 3:32:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy