The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Consensus leader stayed out of factional wrangling > Comments

Consensus leader stayed out of factional wrangling : Comments

By Peter Van Onselen, published 19/1/2006

Peter van Onselen argues Geoff Gallop was a genuine consensus leader who stayed away from deal-making.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I have no doubt that Geoff Gallop was an amazing choice for Premier in WA and, as a NSW resident, have been envious for some time that we could not have him. He is a remarkable man who has lived a remarkable life and is admirable in so many ways. I find it surprising that he faced no challenge within, particularly in light of stories emerging on Crikey at the moment. Do WA ALP insiders know of difficulties Gallop was facing within the party that may have placed sufficient stress on him that it could contribute to his depression and, sensible, decision to walk away?
Posted by Shell, Thursday, 19 January 2006 11:48:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I could not help but feel watching the resignation of Gallop in WA that he was a significant talent and leader lost to politics in Australia. I am not an ALP man and never have been, mainly because the factional brawling that dominates the ALP keeps the best men and women down.

In Gallop's case I think he was somewhat of an exception to the rule and would've made a far better prime minister than Beattie or even Beazley. He did govern by consensus and he recognised that the radical left was fundamentally wrong in moving away from mainstream public opinion. Afterall politicians are there to guide their constituency but at the end of the day must not dismiss the majority.
Posted by wre, Thursday, 19 January 2006 2:04:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Geoff Gallop was not called "Good News Geoff" for nothing. When there was pleasing news to announce he would be right up there smiling . But when hospital trolleys were lined up waiting for not enough beds, he was no where in sight.
Big sporting centres, convention centres , a railway line that could have waited, all took precedence over hospitals.
Maybe he got tired of factionalism.
We now have a new Premier in Alan Carpenter according to the media. Carpenter has been portrayed as a "Grumpy Old Man" but he gets things done and the west is in for a very interesting time.
He is nobody's 'yes man'.
Posted by mickijo, Saturday, 21 January 2006 3:57:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy