The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Increasingly uncomfortable living in a material world > Comments

Increasingly uncomfortable living in a material world : Comments

By Richard Eckersley, published 23/1/2006

Richard Eckersley argues optimism about the quality of life has slumped among Australians.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Why quote one of these mindless surveys that falsly implies economic growth and standard of living trade-off. Economic growth is *good* for things like family values because it means that things like pensions, health care, education, roads, and so on can be paid for. Where, for instance, is the money going to come from to pay for the healthcare of the ever aging population without that economic growth ? Are we simply to going to increase taxes (already at the highest level ever) to pay for it ?

I also fail to see why environmentalists and scientists need to convince people to act. If people are already convinced there is a problem then cleary the job of scientist is done (apart from suggesting solutions) -- it is up to the average person to do whatever they can. Since people are not willing to do things like curtail car use, live in better planned cities etc. (i.e., smaller housing), pay for solar panels on their roofs etc., it just shows you that there is a great discrepancy between what people say and what people actually believe.
Posted by rc, Monday, 23 January 2006 12:23:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
rc, If pensions, health care,education can be paid for, could you please let us in to the secret as to why they are not being paid for, instead we have $11.5 billion in surplus. This of course was garnished from the States Health funding, and Education and of course public housing for low income people, instead they are homeless, is this a Governments role, to make a profit out of the country.

I was led to believe Governments were to spend their money on these things also, however this Government has shortchanged the States in the last Federal/State Health Agreement in 2004 by nearly $1 billion over 5 years, and with State Schools educating nearly 70% of all students, they recieve only about 30% of the Federal Government's Education budget. As for pensioners, I can assure you we are not flying around the world anytime soon, we can barely afford to eat 2 square meals a day, in a wealthy country in the 21st century.

Do you have any explanation for this situation, as I would love someone to explain "why is it so."
Posted by SHONGA, Monday, 23 January 2006 2:05:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree, rc. These things are a measure of perceptions, and seem to me to indicate more that the doomsayers and catastrophists have one over the hearts of people in a post-Cold War world, by projecting their fears onto an unknowable future. I, for one, hope our leaders don't respond and fall sway to this popular pessimism.
Posted by Chumley, Monday, 23 January 2006 2:05:15 PM
Richard, you say that "Government is lagging far behind both scientific evidence and public opinion on this shift in world views or frames of reference." That seems to be unlikely - if government and the opposition were so far adrift of public needs, desires and viewpoints, they wouldn't continue to get over 80% of the votes at elections.

That said, I agree that beyond a relatively modest point material growth in itself does not contribute to happiness and welfare. The Buddha clearly spelled out the basis for real happiness over 2500 years ago, but people continue to seek happiness in ineffective and deluded ways. Governments reflect this ignorance and delusion rather than lagging behind the "wisdom" of the people. If we had wise leaders, it would be easier for others in the community to develop wisdom; as it is, it's up to each individual to develop their own wisdom rather than decry its lack in others.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 23 January 2006 2:33:52 PM
Statistics, Statistics !

John Winston Howard won his seat in Bennelong (2004)with 49.89%
He did not receive even HALF the vote in his own electorate, and he claims a mandate . HA!

Yes, economic growth is good for the country, if the government spends the money on the country, not on illegal invasions, support to big business etc etc. buying votes.

I think the thrust of the article is that -s l o w l y- people are opening their eyes to the effects of rampant economic rationalism.

My question is, what do we do when the oil runs out?
Posted by Coyote, Monday, 23 January 2006 4:46:59 PM
How many times do we have to say it, but unless you address the question of population, you are pissing into the wind.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 23 January 2006 7:19:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy