The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Men make a meal of household equality > Comments

Men make a meal of household equality : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 20/1/2006

Nicholas Gruen examines the division of labour in households between the sexes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
"He must have some redeeming qualities or consider giving him the flick"

Pete, I think that perhaps you understand women alot less then you
think that you do :)

Alot of the time, women don't actually want solutions, they just want commiseration. There are good reasons for women getting together with other women, to tell each other how they feel...
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 21 January 2006 10:13:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Correct

Most men are pigs when it comes to housework, they are lazy and don't care.

My wife is an invalid, well, she is invalid, in probably both senses of the word, suffering from a range of physical and psychiatric conditions, and she likes it that way, it gives her an excuse not to do anything except watch TV all day.

That is okay, I can deal with that, as I can do the housework including all the washing, cooking, ironing, shopping, cleaning, feeding the cat and all the rest.

We have been blessed by not having children

And by the way, I work full time as well.

At one stage I was working three and a half days a week and studying full time too

But what I find it difficult to handle is her criticism of the way that I do the housework, of the quality and quantity. She compares my standard of housework to her mother, and my step mother, neither of whom worked full time.

So, am I a damned failure as a houseworker? Probably.

And am I a failure as a husband? Well she thinks so.

Am I a failure as a 'man', well probably, because, (as the police who call when she rings 000 when she has 'panic attacks' [ie doesn't get her own way], say they they would not have put up with her) I should have left her years ago.

But then, who would do the housework?
Posted by Hamlet, Saturday, 21 January 2006 11:00:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Beware of statistics as they don't tell the whole story. 1 + 1 sometimes equals 3, qualitative research on this issue is the way to go, forget working with numbers and start working with people!
Posted by tubley, Saturday, 21 January 2006 11:42:25 PM
The research probably did find that it was not of great issue within a household to the quantity each particular individual did.

The female head of the house knows that if you want a good job done, you should do it yourself.

The females role within the family and especially with children is a 24/7 job.

The envy is that the male roles has tradition drawing the line in the sand after 8 hours work, stuck in a time zone behind the realities.

With interest is the rational of ten minutes work, ten minutes rest. I've got to hand it to you.
Posted by Suebdootwo, Saturday, 21 January 2006 11:55:28 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Opinionated2

Thanks for your praise of my efforts and your confession.

My female partner resents your position and reference to "missus".

Its not that your sexist, mate, but you put women on a pedestal.

Yabby

Yes I was a bit unfair to the man concerned.

Your right. A woman can seek commiseration by blogging on OLO or "getting together with other women, to tell each other how they feel... ".

What place would a male partner have in this process of communication?

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 22 January 2006 12:10:24 AM
Hi Plantagenet,

Please apologise to your partner for my use of the word Missus.... I was just being Aussie and I meant no offence whatsoever.

I'm not sure that I put women on pedistals as I have seen some shockers too in my time. I would say my views are fairly realistic. My experience is that in most cases women are better workers than men and that they do far more around the house in most relationships.

Again my sample is limited to people I know and whom I have witnessed in these areas
Posted by Opinionated2, Sunday, 22 January 2006 1:03:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12