The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new-economy entrepreneur of DIY death > Comments

The new-economy entrepreneur of DIY death : Comments

By Michael Cook, published 2/2/2006

Michael Cook argues Dr Philip Nitschke has adapted to a new market servicing those who are simply tired of life.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Like the majority of Australians, I think that euthanasia should be permitted. I think its vital discussion topic for an aging population that has a high proportion of never marrieds - no children.

There is nothing so wicked as watching your once proud parent being grimly kept alive against their stated wish to maintain their lifelong independence and oft times stated wish to die with dignity at a time of their choosing.
Posted by billie, Thursday, 2 February 2006 11:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actuallly, Michael, it's the second time the machinery of government has creaked into action to stymie this same man. Never mind that they have done so in the face of unusual unanimity among the electorate in favour of the actions being proscribed. You seem to think (and I use the term loosely) it's axiomatic that being 'tired of life' is not sufficient reason for ending it. Perhaps, for believers, this might be the case. For those of us who do not believe we are created, let alone created in the image of God, and are hence uniquely valuable, such an assumption requires something in the way of argument and evidence. I would be delighted to see you provide some, but fear that were I to hold my breath until you did so, I would not need to call on Dr Nitschke's services.
Posted by anomie, Thursday, 2 February 2006 12:00:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
More drivel from Mr Cook. Opus Dei would be proud of him, yes he is a member of the Pope's secret army.

I won't even bother to comment on this piece of bile.
Posted by Steve Madden, Thursday, 2 February 2006 12:53:31 PM
Quite funny in an absurd sort of way.
"Ending better than mending", what a brave new world it could be...
Posted by Donnie, Thursday, 2 February 2006 1:18:31 PM
What a gutless article. Sneering and taking cheap shots is always easier than laying out your own beliefs and justifying them.
Posted by KRS 1, Thursday, 2 February 2006 2:25:39 PM
Interesting to see the number of one line cheap shots, claiming there's a lack of argument in Michael Cook's article!

Nitschke has been selling suicide to people for many years, whether they're suffering from depression or not, whether they're old or young, whether they're terminally ill or not. Counselling or procuring another person to commit suicide is illegal because it is recognised that suicidal people are desperate and vulnerable. Nitschke's made a career out of it. Good on Cook for exposing him.
Posted by magella, Thursday, 2 February 2006 4:42:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy