The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Making societies more civil > Comments

Making societies more civil : Comments

By Eva Cox, published 10/1/2006

Eva Cox argues problems arise when flaws and tensions tear our social fabric apart rather than draw us together.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Sensible comments on the over-used and abused word 'racist'. The word is hurled around by people who have no argument, or is simply used to insult people who have different ideas from that of the user.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 9:55:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am refreshed after reading this article and enjoy any work that attempts to have the dominant understand their dominance.

What a contrast to this thread:
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=4015

Thank you for the wise words and measured tones.
Posted by aka-Ian, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 10:13:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The word 'racist' has certainly been overused. As have the terms 'politically correct', 'anti-American', 'unAustralian' and 'fascism'. Death by a thousand cliches.

Eva is right in that accusations of racism gets people's backs up. That's a good thing. In the not so distant past, many Australians were proud of being racist. Now the accusation is almost on a par with 'child molester'.

Nonetheless, there is racism in Australian society and it would be foolish not to recognise it. Eva cites the assignment of collective guilt as an example and I'd agree. I saw grafitti the other day saying that Jews are the new Nazis. Most people would agree that is racism (or anti-semitism if you want to be technical). However, yes it is often better to be pragmatic and suppress the urge to throw the term 'racist' around like so much confetti if you want to be more effective in combatting bigotry.
Posted by DavidJS, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 10:42:41 AM
Eva asked:

[[“My question is: How do we convince public figures to take responsibility for reducing the climate of fear and assuage public anxieties without encouraging a toxic form of tribalism? ]]

I think we need to rephrase the question.

"How do we approach the problem of 'tribalism' ?

1/ Partly by educating it out of peoples minds.

BUT...under the framework of a dominant culture which cannot be challenged. Malaysia had what they called the "5 sensitive issues" established soon after race riots of 1969. The law was, you were not even allowed to DISCUSS the 'preeminence' of the Malay culture/and power. (Note..that is 'Malay' as opposed to Chinese or Indian minorities)

2/ By Sensible settlement policies which prevent Ghettos.

3/ By strict limits to 'family reunion' so that young underage or ANY girls canNOT be sent to Lebanon to marry by arrangement older men who can then come to Australia with all THEIR associated family re-union hangers on.

4/ Soccer and other sporting teams based on RACE would be illegal.(sorry South Melb Hellas and Inter-Milan)

5/ Cultural Associations must show their 'respect' credentials for the dominant culture by implementing programs which show publically how minority cultures are contributing to the social harmony through such respect.

6/ DISMANTLING all discriminatory training in the public or emergency services which require them to treat minorities in ANY way other than according to the Australian culture dominant here.

Basically, re-engineer 'MultiCulturalism' to mean 'under' the guidance and limits afforded by the dominant culture. Then, dispense with the Term altogether, replacing it with 'Successful life in Australia' or something.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 12:35:30 PM
Eva,

As always, a thoughtful approach to a complex issue. As I've said in response to other Op Eds on the violence in Cronulla: the speed with which some people hold a broad group responsible for the actions of a few individuals is very frightening.

The responses to Greg Barns' article in some ways demonstrate this, no one wanted to be accused of being racist and yet would happily imbue self-selected groups of "others" with identical characteristics without a second thought.

An example of this is Catholicism, considered at one point as a stance implicitly anti-nationhood. I myself know people who would consider themselves Catholic who don't go to church each week, those that do, those who won't take communion, those who support artificial contraception and those that don't, those that agree with the majority of the Pope's teachings and those that don't. For some, a stereotypical view of Catholicism might be convenient, but ignores the intricacies of individuals' faith: just as judgements about any group based on any notion of membership will always fail to encompass the full range of that group.

It's very easy to consider that group-think or collective mentality doesn't exist in dominant, mainstream Australian culture, but that's because we excel at living our lives without having it challenged too much. People with a strong sense of their own personal values should not find it confronting to have those values challenged: this is the way that we grow as individuals and develop who we are.
Posted by seether, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 2:32:00 PM
I was just wondering what is the accepted definition of "racist"? In another thread I have been accused of being racist after complimenting Asian migrants as hard working and valuing education - no negative connotations whatsoever although I admit a bit of a generalisation. Apparently this is as bad as racial vilification - I can't quite see it so who is right?
Posted by sajo, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 2:51:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy