The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Moments of glory > Comments

Moments of glory : Comments

By Erik Leipoldt, published 10/1/2006

Erik Leipolt offers a personal perspective on life viewed from a wheelchair.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Erik

That is absolutely wonderful. A beautifully constructed piece of writing.

Thank you.

Ian
Posted by aka-Ian, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 10:02:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ian I agree. Erik, your article was also heartwarming.....reinforcing that tolerance is frequently the result of understanding. My only complaint is that you didn't supply me with a tissue to wipe the tears my softheart emitted.....
Posted by Coraliz, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 10:23:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wonderful story. Has made my day.
Posted by rossco, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 11:43:13 AM
Erik

Sincere thanks for your article. You are a "Master of Words". I was there on the beach with you. I could feel the hot sun. I could smell the salt. And I could smell Ben's beer breath.

I did not feel sad for you. I felt sad for Ben.

I agree with all previous posters.

You should send this article to a university nursing program. I have tried to teach empathy and compassion for years. It is a very difficult task.

Cheers to you and your family
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 6:57:37 PM
When Erik says “Why stop at tolerance - a festering hotbed of a comfort zone? By daring to step out of it we may earn opportunities to really feel that we are indeed all in this together”, I am reminded of how we each easily isolate the odd. . But Ben is a character I can relate too.

When my brother was stricken with the worst effects of polio at age 4 almost all those around us had great difficulty dealing with their reaction. Later on dad and I were helped in building his first wheel chair out of water pipe and bike parts by other chaps at the factory. It was a clumsy looking thing and my young brother abandoned it as soon as he could haul himself out of it. Too many people just stared at his lone efforts to drive it. Others laughed when he fell as a leg sailed in the air to avoid another broken caliper.

Some polio kids from that era suffered incredible isolation through school too as only a few adults had gained the wisdom to rush in rather than stand back. Rush in they did and we are grateful. I could never lift him. Fortunately “Ben” has a number of faces and several were young ladies. It was years before the community as a whole understood.

Youth wants to be normal even in gangs. When the pair of us bogged dad’s shiny Humber Hawk on the beach, it was our reaction to a need to be seen out and about.

There was something wonderful too just being beside the sea.

“All four wheels ploughing up the beach” by Erik neatly sum us up as we were. Read it again folks, there is a lot more in this beach story.
Posted by Taz, Tuesday, 10 January 2006 9:43:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy