The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How ABA tried to hang Kerry Packer > Comments

How ABA tried to hang Kerry Packer : Comments

By David Flint, published 3/1/2006

David Flint reflects on the Australian Broadcasting Authority's attempt to hang Kerry Packer.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Ahhhh, So this is why the tax payers of Australia are funding a memorial service for the big bloke. Of course, its only fair !
Posted by Coyote, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 11:26:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been trying to work out why Kerry Packer is regarded as a great business man. Perhaps I have my facts wrong and somebody can correct me however this is what I understand:-

1. In the mid 1970s Kerry inherited a corporate empire worth $100 million. Adjusting for inflation that is equivalent to about $2 billion in todays terms.

2. When he died his corporate empire was worth about $7 billion.

So in real terms he grew his business interests by a multiple of 3.5 over about 30 years. So in real terms thats a growth rate of about 4% per annum. Why does that make him a great business man as opposed to being just a rich business man.
Posted by Terje, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 11:48:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At a much later parliamentary committee hearing, my wife went to pour herself (and myself) a cup of tea. She was ushered away, being told that the tea was for MP's and parliamentry staff only, plus something about keeping costs down.
Posted by David Latimer, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 2:11:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Terje,
You have answered your own question, it doesn't. However it does provide him with some powerfull hangers on like Hawke, Howard etc. Not a particularly great businessman, or great Australian for that matter, simply a rich one, which of course must recieve the accolades from the Government of the day at the taxpayers expense, even though he was not particularly keen on paying tax himself, as Darran Hinch used to say "That's Life"
Posted by SHONGA, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 2:16:55 PM
I find it unsurprising that the Flintstones idolise people like Packer, an antisocial bully who used his inherited financial muscle to intimidate and manipulate. But to write such a blatantly "look-at-me me me" piece is still somewhat distasteful, even though it largely disappeared in the deluge of post mortem hagiographic smarm that has graced our media for the last week.

It is also puzzling why the piece is reprinted here. I says nothing, and says it in a very unpleasant way. The forum equivalent of stepping in something slimy on the pavement.

"...one of the great theatrical events of the decade, I had the good fortune to be in the front row..."

"...I was called to give evidence that morning. Forgoing lunch, I remained in my seat..."

"...I suspected that the committee would regret its decision..."

"...I was on the press council for 15 years..."

"... I said the report would have to... In any event, I said.... I said that we also had to have evidence... I said they should ask ... I had to bring this to a head... So I wrote to all members... I said that... I told the board..."

Yeccchhh!
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 3:44:34 PM
Pericles,

Although I agree with you I beg to differ on a minor point. The professor is a truly remarkable specimen. He should be in a petrie dish somewhere having all of his excretions painstakingly analysed and the results widely disseminated for the good of mankind. His behaviour should be monitored and minutely recorded. Mind you, the reason I think the lives of child rapists, serial killers and the like should be preserved is for observational, analytical and perhaps experimental purposes.

Each time he writes he reveals further inconsistencies in what initially appears to be a rock-solid values system. It's not so much that he emphasises the first person, as when he chooses to do this. You might notice he refrains from publicising his hob nobbing with the gentrified elite on some occasions and not others. Similarly, he believes fervently in erasing difference in some instances and not others.

As a conservative trained in law he would understand the great legacy of casuistry, but he has not learned from his own life experience.

A truly amazing specimen and I look forward to his offerings with the (only human) sort of ghoulish fascination we tend to have for grisly catastrophes.
Posted by chainsmoker, Tuesday, 3 January 2006 5:09:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy