The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia: toeing the Bush climate line > Comments

Australia: toeing the Bush climate line : Comments

By Martin Callinan, published 22/12/2005

Martin Callinan argues climate change is a serious threat weighing on the future of mankind.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Good article. The march of folly continues.

Sorry, but the pedant in me says you spell your title "toeing the line." It means "putting your toe on a line" (as a troop of soldiers on the training ground) not "towing it away."
Posted by Daev Keli, Thursday, 22 December 2005 11:57:29 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Lord Martin, surely you are not suggesting Bush and the United States dictate our every move, the war in Iraq, our climate control policy, economics etc. If you are this has come as a complete schock to me, I thought we were a soverign nation. We have different views to the Yanks on....I'm thinking.....I'll get back to you.
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 22 December 2005 12:20:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Daev Keli,
Susan (OLO editor)
Posted by SusanP, Thursday, 22 December 2005 2:44:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some interesting data from Montreal:

Some countries that moralise on reducing emission are Canada, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Greece.

The emissions from these countries have risen by 24%, 18%, 42%, 37%, respectively, and for Ireland and Greece, an increase of 26% for both.

Against this ‘brilliant’ performance from the Kyoto Protocol lickspittles, the emissions of the USA, which continues to reject Kyoto, rose by only 13%, 2% of which has occurred during President Bush’s watch.

Why shouldn’t Australia follow America?
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 22 December 2005 2:50:44 PM
Leigh, you are in a distinct little lunatic right group, so these countries have not met their obligation, they have the intent to do so "why shouldn't Australia follow the US " indeed. Half of our economy is owned by them, you would think that would be enough, but alas, they want to enforce their culture, their thinking, their way on us. That is fine for you cellar dwellers, lunatic right rednecks, however some of us are PROUD AUSTRALIANS, with our own culture, which we are proud of, and would no more adopt the Yank culture than the Russians, or anyone else's for that matter. You are a bloody hyocrite if you were proud of your country, you would want an independant Australia, not an Australia who follows anyone, but a nation who makes up it's own mind, an Australia that we don't have at present. Your views of life irratate me, but I respect your right to hold those views, if only your aggogance would allow me the same privilage, not a common trait for your misguided view on life, along with your other half a dozen lunatic, redneck "right." Sadly you view the opposite to right to be wrong, which is not the case, it is left. You see the beauty of Australia, pre 1996 was the "right" to express an opinion, whether or not others agreed with you, it seems now that you think we should all think your way, wake up and smell the roses, that will never happen.
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 22 December 2005 9:13:59 PM
Leigh said, "<breathtaking inanity>"

As tedious and undeserving of a counter as it is, I will suffer it. Those countries you listed have no obligation to do anything as there is no agreement in place. Furthermore, actually reducing their emissions while other countries refused would have a negative effect on their economy. They are locked into competition with the countries that refuse to reduce emissions until everyone (especially the largest economies in the world) agrees to reduce emissions, read this carefully, at the same time. I know that is a difficult concept for you to grasp Leigh, but you must if you are to shed the sinful ignorance you wear with pride.

Btw were you going to add Swaziland to that list?..Rofl -_-
Posted by Steel, Friday, 23 December 2005 1:23:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy