The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A balancing act: refugees, human rights and justice > Comments

A balancing act: refugees, human rights and justice : Comments

By Matthew Zagor, published 20/12/2005

Matthew Zagor argues the way Australia marries its refugee law obligations with its commitment to international criminal justice is inadequate.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Agree with your argument entirely, Matthew. This government is a master at avoiding its responsibilities to any international conventions it thinks might impede its hardline political agenda.

With the latest ridiculous round of excisions from our coastline, it is now virtually impossible for any boat person to claim asylum in Australia no matter how worthy they are or how desperate their circumstances.

This is how Howard and Ruddock and co. honour the 1951 World Refugee Convention. They have completely trashed the efforts of earlier leaders who signed this treaty as a show of Australia's good will in the world and of our determination to join the world in ensuring that no others should ever endure the horrific suffering experienced by refugees during WW2.

Either they haven't learned from history, or they know the lessons but they just don't care.
Posted by Bronwyn, Tuesday, 20 December 2005 1:28:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If Australia is avoiding international obligations, there seems to be no point in having them. Who is supposed to be 'policiing' these obligations, one wonders. If Australia is avoiding these obligations we are continually hearing about, what are other countries - those who would lock Zagor up for his opinions, or worse - getting away with?

Placing 'obligations' on countries as if they are individuals subject to common law is absurd. Some countries will go along with them, others won't. Elected governments make the decisions in each country, and that is the way it should be.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 20 December 2005 3:36:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Leigh,
In 1970, The International Court of Justice identified a separate category of international obligations, which rather than being owed to a specific State on a bilateral basis, they are owed to the international community as a whole, with all States having an interest in their protection and their being binding on all States irrespective of consent. Examples of such obligations given by the International Court are those prohibiting aggression and genocide, and those protecting from slavery and racial discrimination -- in other words obligations that promote basic human values and common interests. These obligations are meant to outline international standards that would even protect the rights of idiots who don't believe we should international standards and obligations.
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 20 December 2005 4:52:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rainier

You once stated. “Every human life is precious“yet you allow yourself to post a statement like “Thank god for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. We won't have to suffer him much longer.”

Are you really thanking god that I will die shortly? I find it intriguing that an obviously intelligent person can be so callous. Or are you trying to intimidate me from posting my thoughts, which are just as relevant as yours.

There is nothing like terminal cancer to clarify one’s thoughts. I have had to come to terms with my own mortality in a way that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

I have read most of your posts and see an angry person who blames everyone else for his problems; this is exactly the problem we are discussing in this forum. You may identify yourself as aboriginal but this is no excuse for feeling superior to other Australians, you use the term “first nation” people as a badge of honour and complain of the treatment you have received in your life. So what, most people have not had an easy life, you have just found an erroneous reason for yours.

In another post you get stuck into Mal Meninga for not hearing racist taunts, if you have the balls to post your real name I will ask him if he ever played football with you. Yes he is a family friend. Of course he is South Sea Islander and Scottish descent so he would not hear racist taunts against aboriginals. If you need good fruit and veg. go and see him at the Brisbane Markets.

You provide no solutions you just blame others. As I stated before you are obviously an intelligent man but I will be surprised if I get a sensible response from you.

Just to even the ledger I hope that bus with your name on it does run out of petrol for many years, but look out it is coming to get you. Two or three of my good online friends die every month. I will wait for your apology
Posted by Steve Madden, Tuesday, 20 December 2005 6:55:54 PM
Steve,

I disagree with you completely in terms of me blaming everyone else.

I do however ask very pointed questions about a range of issues. If you read this to be me blaming people then perhaps like others who accuse me of this - they resort to the lowest common denominator in attempting to deligitimising what I say or completely avoid my challenge to answer very simple question about politics and nationalism.

I can't be held accountable if they can't explain their own insecurities.

As for Mal, I can verify that he denied racism in football via a newpaper article. Its no big deal to me. But he did say it.

As for your illness, I do apologise.

PAX
Posted by Rainier, Tuesday, 20 December 2005 9:26:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy