The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Costly harvest of ignorant GM campaign > Comments

Costly harvest of ignorant GM campaign : Comments

By Jennifer Marohasy, published 16/12/2005

Jennifer Marohasy argues misinformation about genetically modified crops can have a significant effect on costs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
Welll...

I don't like to accept either end of the GM argument, and you, Ms Marohasy, represent the far right of the spectrum. I realise that we derive large benefits from genetic modifications of a range of items, not just foodstuffs. I also realise that the actual modifications are quite minor as the DNA across different organisms is remarkably similar.

However, my concerns about GM technologies revolve around the issues of patents and intellectual property rights. You see, once you leap on the GM bandwagon you also tie yourself to either one or a limited range of suppliers. In terms of cotton or of canola, you no longer retain some of your harvest for replanting, you are required either by signed agreement or by the nature of the genetic manipulation, to buy your seed at "enhanced" prices from your licenced supplier. The premium is meant to cover the cost of the research, but I suspect that most of the premium goes to certain big investors - do you know many researchers who are fabulously wealthy ;-)

The rabid green side of the debate is guilty of overstating the concerns with GM food; but they are right to question unbridled capitalism that is behind Ms Marohasy's article (then again, it was published in The Australian, that bastion of unbridled capitalism and right-wing conservative political agenda so beloved by its owner - hello Rupert).
Posted by jimoctec, Friday, 16 December 2005 9:55:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jennifer,
For years there have been two types of eggs, "Farm fresh eggs" and "Free Range eggs."
In the shops how do you tell the difference?
You have to rely on the honesty of the wholesaler to label them correctly.
Who can you trust these days? You can't trust nobody, not even with laws to prevent things happening. People break laws so some GM products are obviously going to appear in the Organic market.
Posted by GlenWriter, Friday, 16 December 2005 11:15:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with jimoctec. It is the control the chemical companies have over the use of the GM technology through patents etc that really scare me. Not that I particularly want to consume GM products but given the use of chemicals in agriculture already, GM products are not likely to do more harm than we are already unknowingly exposed to. But the power of a few large drug companies to exercise control over what seeds and chemicals a farmer can use, and even take contol over crops which just happen to become contaminated because some other farmer has used GM products, is something to worry about. We will finish up with just a few varieties of canola, corn, grain etc and lose the diversity of crops currently grown around the world.
Posted by rossco, Friday, 16 December 2005 2:56:04 PM
I don't know the figures, but some Australian producers over apply insecticides by a factor of 3-5 times the regulatory restrictions. Another checkmark in favour of organically-grown produce.
Posted by Steel, Friday, 16 December 2005 3:26:39 PM
"I don't know the figures, but some Australian producers over apply insecticides by a factor of 3-5 times the regulatory restrictions."

Another unsubstantiated,inflammatory greenie lie, and it only took 4 comments into the thread for it to crop up! They're so cute, those greenies. Trying to have a debate with them is like repeatedly bashing your head into a brick wall.
Posted by Yobbo, Friday, 16 December 2005 9:25:13 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In North America, Chuck Benbrook is seen for what he has been for most of the past 15 years at least – a consultant to the organic industry. He currently holds some sort of position with the Organic Centre, a body devoted to “proving” the benefits of organic agriculture. As the organic industry has taken an ideological position against GM crops and is actively using the controversy to lure people to organic agriculture, of course Benbrook was going to say GM crops were bad.

Did you know that hand pulling of weeds has been banned in California, except for the organic industry and certain small scale vegetable seed crops. Hand pulling of weeds is well known to cause musculoskeletal damage to humans yet the organic industry fought tooth and nail to retain this practice. Devotees of the organic industry are quite happy to make all sorts of unfounded claims about the safety of more conventional agriculture, but more people would be damaged by hand weeding in California than by pesticides in the whole of the US.
Posted by Agronomist, Saturday, 17 December 2005 8:59:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy