The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Robert Gerard - throwing the switch on cronyism > Comments

Robert Gerard - throwing the switch on cronyism : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 7/12/2005

Nicholas Gruen argues the Reserve Bank board should be appointed transparently and on merit.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Nicholas Gruen is right. While we in the hoi polloi will never know the truth of the Gerard episode, there must be changes along the lines suggested.

Apart from the danger of corruption, this particular incident again brought out Mr. Costello's arrogance and the PM's reluctance to kick his Ministers in the backside.

While I currently support the Coalition as the only possible government, I would have to do a serious rethink if Mr. Costello were to assume the leadership as he thinks he should. Not just because of this incident, which is bad in itself, but Mr. Costello is best suited to membership of the ALP, or even something further to the left, in too many of his attitudes.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 12:12:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The issue is symptomatic of the drastic fall in standards of probity under Howard, so I'm not sure Costelloe should be taking ALL of the blame. Indeed, I suspect that Howard is rubbing his hands with glee at Costelloe's discomfort.

The double standards are breathtaking. On the one hand we have advertisements on TV every day telling us that we must inform Centrelink of any change in circumstances (which has the added effect of suggesting that 'dole bludging' is widespread). On the other hand, we have our leaders leaping to the defence of a man who has clearly tried to bludge his way out of tens of millions of dollars of tax. At the same time he donates large sums to the Liberal party.

Clearly there needs to be an independent and objective evaluation of candidates for these positions. You wouldn't (or at least I wouldn't) appoint someone to a powerful position without vetting them closely.

Don't forget that Howard also has form. Look at some of his appointments - Peter Hollingworth, Peter Reith. I could go on. Also at the same time, the Government is relaxing the rules on disclosure of political donations. They have no intention of cleaning up public life.
Posted by AMSADL, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 2:47:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have a look at this:

http://www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20051207/17/domestic/1525732.inp
Posted by Rex, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 4:44:22 PM
There must have been a few in the inner circle who knew that Robert Gerard's fight with the tax office would have hurt Peter Costello the most.Who made the revelations public? If the opposition knew it would have been in the public arena long ago.

Judging by the back to back cold shoulders,both antagonists have a pretty good idea.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 7:43:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is ludicrous to suggest that the Treasurer could, or should, be held accountable for not realising that somebody owes his department money. I mean, there must be oodles of Australian business operators that are being investigated at any one time for defrauding the Commonwealth of 100's of millions of dollars, you can't expect the minister responsible for the Taxation department to know what his department is doing.

I mean to call it responsible government is one thing, to actually expect the minister's to take responsiblity for the machinations of the executive is somewhat surreal. I mean if the treasurer was a normal individual, say a CEO of a corporation (I know lets call it the treasury corp), he could hardly be held to account for appointing somebody to the management board of his financial section if that person was suspected of defrauding the corporation.

What? He could. what real personal liability, jail terms?

My god, why do we expect rich people to pay tax? Their peasants....., sorry, employees pay tax so they shouldn't have to, why else did we elect the Liberal Party?

I cannot believe this business about putting rich people in jail, shouldn't we introduce an economic version of rex is lex?

ssshhhhh, WE ARE.
Posted by Aaron, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 9:15:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For information, here are the "Nolan Rules" proposed by a UK committee.

The Seven Principles of Public Life

The Committee has set out 'Seven Principles of Public Life' which it believes should apply to all in the public service. These are:

Selflessness
Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest. They should not do so in order to gain financial or other benefits for themselves, their family or their friends.

Integrity
Holders of public office should not place themselves under any financial or other obligation to outside individuals or organisations that might seek to influence them in the performance of their official duties.

Objectivity
In carrying out public business, including making public appointments, awarding contracts, or recommending individuals for rewards and benefits, holders of public office should make choices on merit.

Accountability
Holders of public office are accountable for their decisions and actions to the public and must submit themselves to whatever scrutiny is appropriate to their office.

Openness
Holders of public office should be as open as possible about all the decisions and actions that they take. They should give reasons for their decisions and restrict information only when the wider public interest clearly demands.

Honesty
Holders of public office have a duty to declare any private interests relating to their public duties and to take steps to resolve any conflicts arising in a way that protects the public interest.

Leadership
Holders of public office should promote and support these principles by leadership and example
Posted by Faustino, Wednesday, 7 December 2005 10:13:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy