The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The ultimate penalty > Comments

The ultimate penalty : Comments

By Colin Lamont, published 9/12/2005

Lamont argues that the civilised society is no place for the death penalty.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
This is now the fourth anti capitol punishment article published on this site. The owners of this site apparently will not tolerate a contervailing article.

This attitude is indicative of the persistent left wing media bias in this country. This bias, which is contrary to the wishes of the majority, is indicative of why news services such as Murdock's Fox news has become so popular in the US. Quite frankly, we the majority are just sick and tired of being force fed trendy views by journalists who's pet agendas we vehemently oppose.
Posted by redneck, Friday, 9 December 2005 4:10:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Redneck get a life, the majority of us don't want to kill anyone, and don't want the State to do it for us either. When I saw 1 comment I knew it would be you, do you have a hatred of humanity, or is it all that soldier b#$%&hit they pushed into your head in the Army. When the Army does peacekeeping work, it is supposed by the Australian public that soldiers have compassion for the people they are protecting, we don't believe the undercurrents that are sometimes reported of soldiers raping and abusing people, we believe that our military have compassion for those people, although the way you carry on, I am begining to question my beliefs in the military. If you continue with this hatred of mankind {which I might add is derogatory to military tradition} authorities may be watching this forum for other matters and stumble upon your rantings and ravings, and take some action. You sir are paranoid, and need help, you may have seen some terrible things in your time as a soldier, but that does not give you the right to want humanity to die, please seek psycological help, via Vetrans Affairs.
Posted by SHONGA, Friday, 9 December 2005 4:28:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Redneck

Your comments, in a forum responding to my article which was one of those four anti Death Penalty articles, that I was a trendy leftie bought great peels of laughter and gaffaws from my closest kin. It bought much consternation among many of my and their leftie friends. If I'm treny leftie then what does that make them raving 'red feds' was my response and question to them.

It is common knowledge I am liberal minded, was once a member of the Liberal Party, and many regard many of my views (Wrongly in my opinion)as just as rightwing as yours.

God (If she exists) help both of us.
Posted by keith, Friday, 9 December 2005 5:37:35 PM
There is no time in history were we as a liberal democracy have not been involved in some action or conflict that has resulted in the taking of life. We do not reject the death penalty for noble reasons of respect for the sanctity of life, we do it because none of us have the intestinal fortitude to throw the switch! We hid behind honourable platitudes of respect for ‘precious life’ when we are just too gutless to allow our true natures rise up and rid our society of those that don’t deserve to be in it. The death penalty should exist to cleanse our society of the scum like Nguyen and his ilk. As to deterrents or lack there of through capital punishment, I can only take Lamont’s word for it. I just think of the wasted money on these criminals. Why pay the $50K-$80K?? per year to keep a scumbag like him feed and clothed.

The arguments outlined by Lamont are predicated on emotional cop-outs that are usually promulgated by bleeding heart intellectuals that can’t bring themselves to face up to their true humanity. Humanity commits acts of wondrous generosity of mind, body and spirit and equally acts of great oppression, brutality and cruelty, but all of these are to be human. To say that killing another person is inhuman is to misunderstand what humanity means. If you are going to make your arguments against the death penalty you should not make it base on some fictitious ideology. Make it about the emotional horrors brought about by your own over active imagination. Be honest about your revoltions when you imagine the conviction, the march to the gallows, the last thoughts as the noose is tightened, the thud of the trap door, the sickening crack of the vertebral column, the dripping sounds of urine pooling under the lifeless body and the wailing of a distraught mother.

The death penalty is simple and absolute. We should use it sparingly and with great care but we should use it for those that commit heinous crimes against society knowingly and with premeditation.
Posted by Woodyblues, Friday, 9 December 2005 9:00:42 PM
It is often claimed but rarely demonstated that capital punishment has no deterrent effect. The claim that "States in the US where the death penalty is available also have the highest homicide rates" could just as easily be turned around to say that states with high homicide rates feel the need to have a greater deterent. Despite the claim in this article that there is no evidence of a deterrent effect, plenty in fact exists. For a start you could check this article - http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=691447 - in which it is suggested that each execution saves innocent lives. I'd have to say that the evidence is not compelling either way but the oft made claim that there is no evidence simply fails to address the entire issue.

Equally, claiming that a death penalty doesn't deter crimes of passion misses the point because these aren't the crimes that are targeted. It is rare in places like the US that a crime of passion will attract a death sentence. It is reserved for premediated homicide or for crimes where the murderer had previously decided that murder was an option whilst committing the crime - eg kidnap and armed robbery.

For my part, I'd favour a system that allows for the death penalty for those who commit premediated murder where there is NO doubt as to guilt - eg the Cobby killers, Martin Bryant.
Posted by ThruTheHaze, Friday, 9 December 2005 9:12:28 PM
Woodyblues, if you're concerned about the money wasted in keeping offenders alive take another look. In the US where CP is still in use the costs involved in prosecuting capital crimes involving CP are actually higher than the costs of life incarceration.

Sections of the following link have ample cost analysis for your edification.
http://dpa.state.ky.us/library/advocate/jan00/dppotter.html
Of course, being interested solely in cost you may ignore the rest of the article.
Posted by crocodile, Friday, 9 December 2005 11:24:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy