The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Let the man teach! > Comments

Let the man teach! : Comments

By Irfan Yusuf, published 25/8/2005

Irfan Yusuf offers an insight into the 'racist' professor from Macquarie University, Andrew Fraser.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Here come the wolves. Get me behind me you lot. This is a problem when the media get a hold of people like Fraser. I think that what he said was wrong and bigoted, but after reading your work - perhaps not malicious. Hope so. Old saying: "Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination".
Posted by rancitas, Thursday, 25 August 2005 3:36:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems Frazer is a Teacher who likes his students to think - almost unprecedented in Australian Education. After all what is Education for if it is not to churn out an army of mindles conformists? Where would we be in Australia if everyone started thinking? Keith
Posted by kthrex, Thursday, 25 August 2005 4:28:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sometime racism only seems to work one way. Its OK to say that Blacks are superior athletes but its not OK to compare intellectual levels - except of course to say the asians in general are better at maths than all of us! Being different is the beauty of the world and one race being superior in one aspect of life shouldn't be considered a drama. Racism rears its ugly head when we use those differences to justify the denial of justice and social equality to another race. After all do you love one child more because he or she is brighter than the other? Of course not.

The problem Fraser has is to prove his assertions and to cope with backlash he should have known would come. I don't support his actions, not because I can prove his views are incorrect but because saying such things can imply we should value some races less.
Posted by Atman, Thursday, 25 August 2005 9:03:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As soon as a "White person" verbally protects his culture, upon his tolerance and charity to others, he is branded a RACIST.

We need to be more aware than ever about what the definition of racist is Oxford dictionary:

Rac/ism n.1.=prec.2.Theory that human abilities etc. are determined by race.3.Hence - IST (2)n.[f.RACE3 + ISM].

MMMMMMM. Let's see what etc means.

Etc.abbr.=foll.

Now the equal means precedes. But there was no word, "foll."

On conclusion of the abbreviation of "Foll.", meant "Following".

Meaning "etc" means following.

Racist according to the Thesaurus:

Synonyms and Antonyms from the word "racist", each leading to a new word and a new opposing word. The opposing word would give the opposite of a new word. The new word would give an opposing new word.

Rather the merry go round that given the rights to Freedom of Speech. A skilled man persecuted for giving his opinion on a Current Affair program.

If it were racist, then you can be assure that a television station like channel Nine would not be able to bring it to air and give it life.
Posted by suebdoo2, Wednesday, 31 August 2005 2:55:20 PM
Professor Andrew Fraser isn't racist. The comments he made about Africans having lower I.Q's though was foolish. I'd prefer to suggest that I.Q levels come down to one's culture, but not genetics.

Having said that, and by the way Irfan it's a good article, I find myself confused regarding your posistion on many issues, unrelated to this article.

At the Insight forum the other night you said that there are terrorists in the Liberal party, which had me laughing for a minute flat, although it's not really funny. If someone as assimilated as you are to still defend those of your culture even though you know they are wrong, is rather frightening.

Why can't your leaders condemn terrorism? There is always a but, or an if, and it is rather embarressing for you all. I am shocked that no Muslims have held protests out the front of mosques where radicals preach, with placards saying "you don't speak for us", or "step down" yet this is yet to happen......I believe on the whole, your community supports terrorism, at least sympathises with it.

This brings me to Fraser. He was called a bigot for pointing out that we white Australians should protect our north-western European culture, which frankly, is the best cultures on earth, particularly the anglo-saxon cultures, although the Dutch, Swedes, French, ect. are of the same tolerant, open nature.

Our culture is the only one that truly has democratic values, no other cultures have gotten past their tribalistic & ethnic tendencies, which brings me to the problems we have with the middle-eastern community in Australia.

Why is Fraser a racist for saying that it's a joke that we've invited large numbers of mid-eastern & Vietnamese migrants, yet they have set up our two crime capitals of our whole nation, and drug capitals! Isn't that racist behaviour to the host nation
Posted by Benjamin, Wednesday, 31 August 2005 8:25:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy