The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > McPolitics > Comments

McPolitics : Comments

By Graham Young, published 29/7/2005

Graham Young argues the internet can perform a brokerage role once performed by political parties.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
This is a pretty insightful article Mr Young.

Monochrome is probably a quite understated way to describe some of the candidate selection processes.

I am quite comfortable with unicameral state parliaments but I don’t envy the Queensland system with the winner take all process.

I think states should give strong consideration to the Hare Clarke system. It is very unhelpful to stackers and gives the voting public a greater choice in their desired parties candidates.

In Tasmania and the ACT you will have a choice of at least 5 candidates from which to choose, from the party you want to support. This frustrates the hell out of the bruvvers and factional warlords. The voters not the warlords decide who will get in.

This system results in each election being an intra as well as inter party competition largely decided by the voting public each election.

There have been some pretty strong numbers men over the years but not even Richo in his hey day would have been able to secure 5 out of the 5 candidates put up by the party for an electorate.

Whilst I won’t have to wait to long before people say but that will lead to hung parliaments. Name the states that have not had minority governments over the last 10-15 years. Currently both jurisdictions with the Hare Clarke system have majority governments.
Posted by jimbo, Friday, 29 July 2005 11:05:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not a good title for subject.
Tasmanian vegetable farmers are travelling in their tractors to various regional centres of South Eastern Australia. Their issue is that fast food outlets are obtaining some of their produce from overseas. They are also arguing that we need very specific labelling for Australian vegetables whether they are fresh or frozen.

Just the beginning of the joys of a free market, where Australia is allowing imports from overseas where their produce is subsidised.
The joys of brand "Liberal" and "Mc".
Posted by ant, Saturday, 30 July 2005 11:42:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ANT...

in spite of our level of difference on other issues, we are at one on this one. I'm definitely NOT an advocate for an 'open slather' free market because with the regimes in some countries its not 'free'.

All that happens is that multi-nationals locate their factories in totalitarian (but bribable) 3rd world countries and then sell us cheap (subsidised) vegies as you observe.

JIMBO (and ANT)

What I note about Grahams article is that it is still couched in 'us/them' politics. "We lost because labor used a 'sparkle' campaign" so to speak. While this may be true on the surface, I still wonder if the Libs in QLD are toooo much into 'vested narrow interest' to be 'of' interest to the wider community.

For Federal Labor and QLD Libs to be relevant, I think Labor need to move away from the left toward the centre, and the Libs of Qld just need to get out more.(and move toward 'responsible government' rather than simply representing the interests they do.

I'd rather see them digging a bit deeper and exploring where we really are, and from where we have come, and asking 'is this where we really wanted to be' ?

Being 'me' I can't leave issues without some kind of Biblical perspective, and in this case it is just the golden rule. Both parties should seek to 'do for others' etc, but I'd prefer that all sides examined their own hearts and put them before the scrutiny of the Almighty, and then think about how to approach issues. (that applies to me also in case you thought I was looking at other's specks :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 30 July 2005 5:58:50 PM
Boaz_David, its pretty difficult to argue against the golden rule!

There is talk about huge multinational wharehouse type developments outside of urban areas which sell all sorts of items. There is no identification with local communities or the country in question. Profits leave the particular country; I gather there are such developments in New Zealand already. The problem is that local businesses cannot compete and may go bust.

I think the Labor Party has moved to the right, and looks more like the Liberal Party of years ago. It was the fiscal policies of Keating that set up the current Coalition Government. The Liberals in the meantime have moved further to the right to break down the influence of Pauline Hanson.
Posted by ant, Saturday, 30 July 2005 9:48:33 PM
Some thoughtful posts here. Until politicians are servants of the people and concerned about every Australians wellbeing and not about their own election we will not have good representatives.

BOAZ_David,Can I ask, which State you live in?
Posted by Philo, Saturday, 30 July 2005 10:28:16 PM
Is there some sort of a conspiracy to take this thread off topic? Not sure what article you guys are reading, but your comments have nothing to do with this one.
Posted by GrahamY, Saturday, 30 July 2005 10:29:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy