The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Workplace satisfaction begins in the home > Comments

Workplace satisfaction begins in the home : Comments

By Daniel Donahoo, published 28/7/2005

Daniel Donahoo argues that society needs to re-evaluate the value of paid and unpaid work.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Yet another male maligning article from Daniel. I think he would be right at home in the Sex Discrimination Commission.

The paper “Striking the Balance” was written by 7 authors who were appointed by the Sex Discrimination Commission, but all of these authors were female, and it seems that the Sex Discrimination Commission has not yet learnt to strike much of a gender balance within it’s own department. "Do As I Say", should become their motto.

Their paper is typically selective, and mostly presented from a feminist viewpoint. It highlights that men earn more, but overlooks the fact that the money they earn is not necessarily spent by themselves, as women spend about 70% of money that is spent.

It highlights that women spend more time on housework, but does not suggest that they should be thinking of ways to reduce housework, and in fact much housework could be unnecessary.

It mentions the fact that women spend more time with children, but overlooks the fact that about 60% of custodial mothers do not want the non-custodial father to spend more time with his children (and there are now a lot of non-custodial fathers).

The list could go on, but if someone is pro-female, that is no guarantee that they are pro-male as well, and the Sex Discrimination Commission would know all about that.
Posted by Timkins, Thursday, 28 July 2005 11:46:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How on earth was Daniel's article "male-maligning"? It was outlining that in general domestic duties are undervalued and dismissed by all sectors of society, women, men, children, youth.... everyone.

Daniel, domestic duties do make our lives nicer- clean clothes, cooked meals etc... but ugh! If I could outsource these duties... *wishful thinking* :)
Posted by Laurie, Thursday, 28 July 2005 11:52:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Timkins!

How's it going mate? Good to see you still goin' strong. Please don't worry. Men are not turning into feminists. Daniel certainly isn't jumping on the 'feminist' bandwagon or maligning men as you put it. As Daniel states "...using a confrontational approach to move men along won't be productive". Doesn't look like man bashing to me.

We all need to think about "house work" "domestic duties", etc and look at the value or role they play in our lives. Should these be accredited a monetry value? Shouldn't we be looking at why we need do house work? Lots of men live alone or without a wife or female partner. Lots of men who have a female partner/ wife do their fair share (or maybe even more) of the chores. Gay households also face the issue of the dreaded housework. Daniel's spot on when he says that house hold duties and the like should be taught from an early age, to both boys and girls for that matter. I still hear many stories of share "house mates from hell", who can't seem to get the drift of getting off their butts and keeping the place reasonably clean enough to manitain a generally healthy ( physically and mentally) environment for all.

Thats what I got from the article anyway. Please read the whole article Timkins. Perhaps you would then agree with some of the points raised and be able to debate the points you don't , a bit more constructively. Cheers!

P.S I have often wondered if you are taking the piss.... ;)
Posted by silent minority, Thursday, 28 July 2005 12:55:38 PM
Silent Minority,
Who says men need to be “moved along”. Some men maybe, but not men in general, and those types of generalised, negative statements made about men are the most typical from Daniel. If he has ever made a positive statement about men in general, then you can find it.

But the inquiry being run by the Sex Discrimination Commission is typically sexist of that Commission. All the authors of the discussion paper are female, and from what I have heard, all the members of the committee who will review submissions to the inquiry are also female. So I doubt very much whether it would be worthwhile for a male to make a submission, unless they wanted to add to all the negative comments made about the male gender that are contained within the discussion paper, or add to all the sexists and male vilifying comments made by Pru Goward herself. From past history, I think only those types of comments will be accepted by the Sex Discrimination Commission.

PS. I have carried out many different tasks in the past, from programming computers to building a house once, but I have never done anything easier than housework.
Posted by Timkins, Thursday, 28 July 2005 2:07:27 PM
Oh Timkins.

Forgive me, but what relevance does your comment "It highlights that men earn more, but overlooks the fact that the money they earn is not necessarily spent by themselves, as women spend about 70% of money that is spent" have to a report about work-life balance?...

About 80 percent of the people I see spending money in the supermarket are women - that could be contributing to the figures...
I know, I know... you did the grocery shopping in your house...

By the way, I don't think many people complain that housework is hard... it's the fact it has to be carried out so bloody often - especially when some occupants refuse to help with it...
Posted by Tracy, Thursday, 28 July 2005 6:49:29 PM
On discussion and debate with regards to the unpaid housewife who's day normally finishes at 9.30pm, if she is lucky, comes to $70 000+.

We will see a continued debate as our illustrious Government believe that women need to go out and work when a child turns six years old.

The women in Australian society is already realised as a multiskilled, underpaid citizen both at home and at the workplace.

Women need to stand up to say that we are balancing enough in life.

Latest statistics is that we are lucky to have 15 minutes a day to think about ourselves outside our responsibilities.

And guys if you think we are just being cranky people it is because we don't get time to ourselves.

Part of those responsibilities is also ensuring that resources are purchased so that all the inhabitants in the household are able to have continuity to maintain their daily lives.

Until men can have babies, I believe we will continue to see a high content of the female species standing in line at the shopping centres.

And as one of the females standing in a line, I particularly don't find it a joyous experience everytime.
Posted by suebdoo2, Thursday, 28 July 2005 10:03:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy