The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The legacy of Justice O’Connor … and a justice for all > Comments

The legacy of Justice O’Connor … and a justice for all : Comments

By Walt Brasch, published 8/7/2005

Walt Brasch looks at the legacy of Justice Sandra Day O’Connor as the conscience vote in the US Supreme Court.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Dear Mr. Brasch. great article. The picture that's painted of judge O'Connor is one of impartiality & achievement. I wish her well.
One of your comments puzzles me though. "If he [George W. Bush] continues to disregard the advice of those who aren’t his closest political advisors and sticks to his promise to nominate someone acceptable to the evangelical right-wing of his party, his legacy may be further tarnished. Not only would he show disrespect for the legacy of Justice O’Connor, but will have set into motion a political battle that may eventually lead not only to a greater division in the country, but of a Supreme Court that may be responsible for a further reduction of constitutional freedoms.
From the tone of this last part of the article you write like this shouls worry Mr. Bush. He has surrounded himself with sycophants & has, in Gonzales, someone who believes in the judicial use of torture. Can you really see Bush overly worried because he's divided the country, tarnished O'Connor's legacy & established a supreme court that will further reduce constitutional freedoms? I don't think it will cause him too many sleepless nights.
Posted by Bosk, Friday, 8 July 2005 12:31:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bosk - I think you are correct. Bush hasn't lost much sleep over any of his appointments and would prefer to be surrounded by sycophants than honest advisors.

Brasch's article is otherwise an excellent summary of a true maverick - someone who would always speak out regardless of the incumbent president's POV. I doubt we will have another independent like her in the foreseeable future. A shame.
Posted by Trinity, Sunday, 10 July 2005 9:12:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy