The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Time to go, Petro > Comments

Time to go, Petro : Comments

By Kevin Donnelly, published 23/6/2005

Kevin Donnelly argues that Petro Georgiou has had his chance, now it is time for him to move on.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
Perhaps Irfan, you haven't quite fitted the stereotype that had been mapped out for you. Most people don't - but then stereotyping is irresistible to people who are lazy, unimaginative, unable to empathise, or just plain bigotted. And then there are people who find themselves caught by surprise when facts come to light; who knows why....?
Posted by Fiona, Thursday, 30 June 2005 3:27:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shallow Ideology Dr Donnelly.

For some perplexing reason I had thought that you may have prepared and submitted an interesting topic regarding the member for Kooyong, Petro Georgiou.

However, despite your alleged qualifications, and I am sorry for placing it in this context, your views regarding Mr Georgiou are nothing but flawed.

And this is the perplexing part: one could safely assume that as a member of society with what appears to be an outstanding academic record concluding with a Phd in History or English, you would have provided an in depth analysis on the topic at hand.

Yet at the end of the day the topic that you submitted is nothing more than a character assassination on a member of parliament who has stood up and formally questioned current immigration policy. And what’s the Liberal response when this occurs? Get rid of him!

As a student of both history and political science you represent a shallow ideology Dr Donnelly but then again perhaps this is the Liberal way.

Shame Sir, shame.

Regards,

Brendan
Posted by Brendan Garner, Saturday, 2 July 2005 3:31:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry, Kevin, what we need in Parliament is more diversity of views, not less. The Liberal Party has already purged many of its 'wets' during the Howard era. To lose more would make it increasingly unrepresentative of the Australian people. We need more MPs who will stand up against the party bosses for what they believe in. And the election results showed that it was the middle class blue-ribbon voters who are disturbed by the harshness of the refugee policy. So Petro is in fact being a good local member and representing the views of his constituency.

Good on you, Petro - you have won my vote!
Posted by Michael T, Monday, 4 July 2005 11:31:10 AM
no - he should stay!
it is the first time I have seen kind of a liberal wind in the liberal party. (What a fake name anyway - has the liberal party ever been liberal?) There should be open discussion within the parties. We do not have to clap hands for everything the MP is doing like in China!

It is time that the governments immigration shop is cleaned out and it's employees told what fairness, equal rights for all applicants world-wide, ethics and competence means.

The incompetence shown in the cases of Australians in detention are only the top of the iceberg. Setting different thresholds for visa applicants depending their origin and twisting the rules seem to be common. You take a lawyer and they stick to the rules.

I read it twice: .... is not convinced that your intentions are genuine.... And then you find out, that the reasons given for the denial of the application are not the same as in the governments internal papers.

I am now not convinced anymore, that the intentions of the Immigration Offices are genuine. I caught them lying and it's for sure not an exception.
Posted by chris_ho, Wednesday, 6 July 2005 11:23:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy