The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > America’s primacy: Is decline imminent? > Comments

America’s primacy: Is decline imminent? : Comments

By Russell Trood, published 15/6/2005

Russell Trood argues the US must place its power, purpose and primacy on a new foundation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Since 9/11 the US has proven too much of a rule-breaker not only in international politics with its preemptive strike on Iraq, but also in the economic field with its abuse of its own-sponsored WTO laws indicated by its massive subsidies especially in grain production, and of course its refusal to honour the Kyoto Agreement.

Especially since 9/11 US arrogance has turned into elitism no doubt having always been in the American psyche inherited from Calvinism which during the Reformation was actually a religous return to the Old Testament, honouring the non-Christian Promised Land syndrome, as well as the Jewish belief in the profit motive. Sympathy with Israel of course, has only made it stronger, the nasty means to an end philosophy so much exampled today in Iraq. Moreover, with trade, so much is indicated by the worrying fall in our Australian wheat prices, mostly caused by US and Europe dumping subsidised grain at a low price, stealing third world markets as well as those of Australia. No need to further speak about global warming, when hungry Exxon and Mobil as well as Murdoch Enterprises, are calling the American tune. Indeed, there is no need to say any more about the reasons for US global unpopularity.
Posted by bushbred, Wednesday, 15 June 2005 12:07:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"...Jewish belief in the profit motive. ... No need to further speak about global warming, when hungry Exxon and Mobil as well as Murdoch Enterprises, are calling the American tune. "
Posted by bushbred

Funny - I hadn't realised Exxon/Mobil and Newscorp were run by Jews. But I guess that's part of the Jewish global conspiracy - to make us all think Rupert Murdoch is a Gentile. Ever noticed how much he looks like Yitzhak Rabin? And you never see the two of them together. Yep - those Jews are mighty clever.

Just one thing bothers me. If it's really about oil, why hasn't the US thrown Israel to the Arab wolves long ago? That certainly would have appeased the Arabs.
Posted by W_Howard, Wednesday, 15 June 2005 2:08:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems to me the US has problems that the current adminstration cannot address
1) it may take a decade for diplomatic and environmental blunders to be patched up
2) it has to balance the books with respect to the budget and trade account
3) it has to adapt to expensive resources

Europe and Asia know they have the head start in these respects. It now seems impossible for the US to recover lost ground.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 15 June 2005 5:18:04 PM
The emergence of China, coupled with large numbers of Chinese in all the major south east Asian countries, added to this the fact that they control pretty much most of all those economies, coupled with a state which has captured the best of capitalism and coupled it with the best of communism ('best'= effective) i.e. the rape of the environment and resources, both human and material to maximize the profit, while keeping a hold on power so that the 'proletariat' can never complain about the artificially low labor rates which keep Chinese goods competitive unfairly, you have pretty much all the ingredients for a war.

The USA will eventually wake up to the impact China is having on its own economy, but in particular the people (workers) and those who are benefitting from it now, will be seen as the short term carpet baggers they really are, and there will be strife unrest and trouble on a rather large scale.

Nothing has really changed since the Spartans decided not to slaughter the Athenian men and enslave their women after victory in the 27yr war, not out of sympathy for them, but to keep them as a buffer against a current ally (but emerging competitor) of Sparta, Thebes.

Alliances, power vacuums, invasians, same old same old. Just less with weapons these days. China probably thinks "We remember.... the opium wars, the wests gunboat diplomacy, but now.... its OUR turn".

So there are no good guys or bad guys here, just people like us, caught up in the middle of it all, born into one side or the other.
Living by chance on the crest or the ebb of the current historical wave.

I smile when people suggest that something like the UN or some 'international court' can fix or run things, and actually appear to believe it.

As for me and mine, we prefer the kingdom of God.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 15 June 2005 8:28:21 PM
I really enjoyed reading this article and thought it addressed the issues fairly. Reading the anti-Americanism propaganda doesn't both me at all. Most of the times I find those posts humorous. These posters don't realize many of the reasons behind the Bush Administration's decisions.

For example, when they talk about the U.S. not working with the United Nations, there is a reason for this. A central point of Bush's push for 'Freedom and Democracy' is to allow citizens to be the decision makers. The closer government is to the people, the better. The U.N. should be a place to discuss issues between nations. However, when this institution begins making policy, it turns into a very un-democratic institution. Nobody in the U.S. elected reprehensive in France to determine how they should protect their interests. Also, if American's are concerned with the Kyoto agreement, they will vote in politicians who will support that treaty. Government should be as small, and as close to the people, as possible.

I am not saying American politics are always correct...they aren't. But they are doing something that they think is right. I would rather have a team that was DOING SOMETHING that talking and never really making any movement.
Posted by JollyJames, Thursday, 16 June 2005 4:49:43 AM
To Jolly James,

Looks like you need to study a bit of history, mate, especially in the Middle East. Sounds like you believe that power whether good or bad must have the say. At present in this world it has become bad top power, mostly run by oil-hungry US wheeler dealers, who also need lessons in morality. George W' also has a stack of zionists, neo-cons and ex-Israelis giving advice. What I am getting at Jolly James, is when you talk about giving a go to leaders prepared to make a move, just try to analyse what sort of leaders you are allowing to make the move.

Bushbred
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 16 June 2005 12:37:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy