The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Not so 'Super Choice' > Comments

Not so 'Super Choice' : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 3/6/2005

Nicholas Gruen argues that many people will be inadequately informed about the new superannuation choices.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The dearth of comments says it all. No one cares or knows what's going on.

The fact is that like natural monopolies (utilities) Super is an area that is best suited by government ownership or not for profit mutuals! Shove that up your Telstra portfolio!
Posted by Reality Check, Monday, 6 June 2005 4:14:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A useful way of narrowing the absurdly wide range of "choice" - which has become so wide as to be meaningless and no choice at all - might be to start (and maybe end) with one of the industry superannuation funds. The trustees of those funds have a legal obligation to optimise the returns for fund members, rather than for shareholders. The latter types run by banks and for-profit, non mutual financial institutions, for instance, care only about "shareholder value" and their personnel are more interested in their commissions than their clients' quality of life in retirement. Why line others' pockets with your own hard-earned?
Posted by Fiona, Thursday, 16 June 2005 9:26:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We now have choice, but is it to complicated and difficult to change super funds?

There has been a bit in the media recently about how, despite the Super Choice legislation, fund companies are taking long periods to actually transfer super when it is requested that they do so, and just generally making it difficult.

This happened to me when I moved my super from AMP, who apparantly are one of the worst, and it was really frustrating. Has anyone else had difficulties transferring their super to a new fund company?

I came across the following online petition to lobby the government to impose penalties on fund companies that take excessive time. The link is the following:

http://www.petitionsonline.com.au/viewpetition.php?id=54

I have signed and hope everyone else does.

Cheers

Sixjn
Posted by sixjn, Wednesday, 8 March 2006 2:17:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy