The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's not research - Japan's whale slaughter is commercial > Comments

It's not research - Japan's whale slaughter is commercial : Comments

By Ian Campbell, published 31/5/2005

Ian Campbell argues it's time to combat the claim that Japanese whaling is for scientific research.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
So Mr Campbell is concerned that the Japanese are being less than truthful when they say they are taking the whales for study whereas we know its for food. No argument. But then we are also being less than truth when we say we want to stop the Japanese so as to save the species. You'll note that the article doesn't even being to address the issue as to how many of these creatures there are. Just the bald statement that the humpback is endangered.

Well according to the IWC there were around 11000 humpbacks in the southern hemishpere in 1988 and they have been increasing by about 11% per year. That makes about 50000 now. Japan is planning on taking 80 per year. Endangered? Give me a break. Equally they are looking to take 800 Minke out of a population of at least 1 million. Some actually think the Minke is so populous that it is encroaching on the food supply of other really endangered species – so a little culling wouldn’t go astray.

So if we want them to be honest let's be honest also. We think eating whales is barbaric and, irrespective of their culture, we intend to impose our values on them.

BTW, aren't some European nations trying to increase the quota also? Why do we only disparage Asians trying to do so? Who used the "r" word?
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 6 June 2005 6:01:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze,50,000 is not a great number for any species to be considered unendangered.You need diversity of the gene pool and we should all back off until we have at least 150,000 Humpbacks.Must you play the old race card?

Just simply boycott Japanese goods and they will listen.China would probably delight in such a campaign.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 6 June 2005 6:40:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay,

Why 150000? Is there a scientific rationale for that number or is it just a case of deciding we need more than we've got no matter what the number? Oh, and since we've got more than 150000 Minke I guess you have no problems with allowing the harvesting of that species?

I wasn't really playing the race card. But I do think it is intriguing that we concentrate on the Japanese when places like Denmark, Iceland and Russia are just as anxious to life the bans and currently take as many whales as the Japanese. I guess its much easier to whip up public emotion against the Japanese than against those nice people who made our Mary a princess.
Posted by mhaze, Monday, 6 June 2005 9:02:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is so bad about the Jananese wanting to eat whale meat ? We eat many types of sea and land creatures,so why all the fuss about whales ? If they are endangered that must mean their numbers are low which will result in the whale harvestors staying at home because the cost of harvesting is obviously high,so what is there to worry about ?
Posted by clement, Monday, 13 June 2005 11:55:58 PM
It seems to me that there is a role for groups like Greenpeace in this whale saga that has not been mentioned. In the great tradition of the Buga-Up groups several years ago, who helped force an end to cigarette advertising, why don't Greenpeace go out on to the high seas, to which they have the same right as the japanese boats, and then spray some chemical over the whales that have just been killed and that are still in the sea, which would make them totally unfit for human consumption. I would think that the so-called research would not last long if it did not produce any whalemeat suitable for eating.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 20 June 2005 8:59:17 PM
I'm astounded at the arrogrance of the Japanese.The rest of the world has refrained from the slaughter of whales so their species might have some chance of survival.

Australia was once a whaling nation.There is more money in eco-tourism than eating the very essence of this planet that inspires us to communicate with other intelligent beings who may save us from our own seemingly immenant demise.

You cannot compare kangaroos with whales.We have more kangaroos than people and whales, dolphins are far more intelligent.

My Uncle was tortured at Changi Prison,and I wonder at the psyche of the Japanese who think is it their right to take what the rest of the world has nurtured ,as they have continued to plunder in the name of scientific research.Now the gloves are off and they will take what they want.Luckily they don't have nuclear weapons.

They should hang their collective heads in shame.Just boycott Japanese products since the Chinese products are getting better.They have not learnt their lesson from ww2.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 21 June 2005 8:19:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy