The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Building a more compassionate society > Comments

Building a more compassionate society : Comments

By Gavin Mooney, published 30/5/2005

Gavin Mooney argues we can build a better more decent society with higher taxation, not less.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I'm sorry Gavin, but I really disagree with your article.

Australian's pay significantly more tax than other developed nations, both in direct and indrect taxation now that GST is here to stay. I work hard to make a living - why should I see it disappear into god knows where.

As a consumer, do I see value for money from the government? I don't think so. I dont believe ANY government is able to spend money in my interest as well as I can. And that includes deciding which charities to give my time and money too.

Taxing more does not mean the inequalities in society disappear. We are already taxed far too much. I would like to see government become more efficient and better organised first. Take the water crises - the inability to sort this issue out perfectly illustrates the inability of federal and state governments to work together, and come up with bold and innovative solutions. You want to give more money to these people?
Posted by gw, Monday, 30 May 2005 3:26:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am puzzled why Gavin and others who advocate increased taxation always compare us with remote nations in north-west europe, rather than with nations close to us. the tax rates in the US, singapore, china, hong kong etc are much lower than ours, and in an increasingly mobile world people will just move to a lower tax regime (when we won't collect any tax from them at all) instead of staying here and paying something. Perhaps it is because there are a lot of compelled occupations, where the participants work for reasons other than money. If they find it hard to comprehend that most of us work in order to earn money, and have lots of other things we would much rather do instead, just think of the occupation of cleaning toilets.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 30 May 2005 4:51:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd like to know how much voluntary income tax the author and others of like mind pay.

I'm not talking about donations to charity where you have some control over how the money is used but rather straight out extra tax into government coffers.

I suspect that most use tax return time to look for deductions rather than an opportunity to write the government a cheque - feel free to contradict me.

Until you are willing to show that you do pay more "income tax" than the current government requires then please stop bleating about how wrong tax cuts are.
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 30 May 2005 5:57:43 PM
Taxation isn't the only issue in creating a better, more decent society

>>Crowded, polluted and a mess – the scam list for dehumanising Sydneysiderers for a fast buck

By Darren Goodsir and Tim Dick
May 30, 2005

Some smart asses have come up with a new definition of Sydney - without consulting the people who have to live work and breathe here.

This article basically states that Sydney residents must become more dehumanised to make way for another million people over the next 20 years.

The idea is to treat existing residents like sheep and shear them of some of their most important wealth, rights and humanity by cramming another million people into what is already an unsalvageable festering social mess. You then take the money and let someone else sort it all out.

Cute, real cute!.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/The-citys-fix-list/2005/05/29/1117305504228.html

Comment:

What you cannot do is argue in favour of extending the definition of Sydney to include Labor Party "must never again lose" ideas with Big end of town "you don't think this is a democracy" ideas so that your "dehumanise the bastards to squeeze more people in" hypothesis can be accepted as valid; it is like a counterfeiter insisting on widening the definition of "money".

I wonder if Clover Moore were Premier of NSW, she'd gaurantee to stop immigration into Sydney for say a 5 year moratorium, till we, the people can sort out the mess in a more humane and respectful way.

BTW Mr Dick and Mr Goodsir, your statement that we can't control the weather in Sydney is FALSE. I have shown on the New York Times Environment forum (http://forums.nytimes.com/top/opinion/readersopinions/forums/science/theenvironment/index.html?page=recent&anchor=1) that if agricultural, industrial, sewage and stormwater outfalls off the coast of NSW are given secondary treatment in Engineered Wetland Basins that thermodynamic conditions in NSW will change to favour the end of drought. This cannot happen until you at least cease espousing unfettered immigration.
Posted by KAEP, Monday, 30 May 2005 6:52:04 PM
Just look at NSW.More tax more bureaucrats,more stuff ups ,no infrastructure,no planning,more rules regulations ,red tape punishing businesses,OH&S regulations,workers comp debacle,home warranty chaos,industrial relations chaos...The list goes on.WE have to negotiate all this rubbish and pay more tax so they can shaft us more?!!We've got taxes coming out of every bodily orifice and work long hours just to survive!

Tell you what Gavin,you can have my business,and I'll have your job and superannuation.

When you arrive back at Alpha Centuari,have a close look at what all the slaves in private enterprise doing, for you to have the time to indulge yourself in such errant nonsense.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 30 May 2005 10:02:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good old Gavin gets loonier with every article! His answer to all ills - more government, more taxes. Crushing incentive for the people in society who actually produce and contribute doesn't strike me as being particularly smart.

Gavin holds Sweden up as being a model for envy. The average worker pays between 50 & 60% income tax plus a 22.5% GST on everything, including food. Their productivity is a joke, employers must pay on average 40% compulsory superannuation for each employee. Sounds great Gavin. http://www.libertyhaven.com/politicsandcurrentevents/healthcarewelfareorsocialsecurity/swedens.shtml for anyone who's interested.

In one breath Gavin calls for a caring, decent society and in the next he virtually calls for the fleecing of people who have the gall to succeed. Rich doesn't mean evil Gavin. Envy is hardly a decent or caring state.

Once again the loonies look to failed models of the past to determine our future. The joke of the whole thing is that if Gavin thought his fresh, revolutionary ideas actually had a chance in a million of getting off the ground, he'd keep his mouth well and truly shut.
Posted by bozzie, Tuesday, 31 May 2005 10:34:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy