The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The 'Joh Years' - Lest we forget > Comments

The 'Joh Years' - Lest we forget : Comments

By Colin Lamont, published 30/5/2005

Colin Lamont argues the corruption under Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen must not be allowed to happen again.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
As a New South Wales resident, I felt that Joe was just the sort of Premier to have in Queensland. I remember well the wonderful way he trounced Whitlam during the Gair affair, whne he advised the Queensland Governor to issue senate writs before Gair had resigned. Again, in 1975 when all he asked the Labor Party to do was to follow the convention they had begun with Premier Gair and submit three names for the Senate vacancy. (the man the Labor Party wanted in the Senate was - wait for it - Mal Colston!) However his greatest achivement, from my point of view, was abolishing Death Duties in Queensland. As someone who loves the Ferderal system, who wants different laws in different States, with the NSW police chasing people who are racing for the Queensland frontier and freedom, Joh was unforgettable.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 30 May 2005 4:09:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is a breath of fresh air.
If only it had been long enough to give a rundown on Wiley Fancher's activities on Joh's behalf; and on Joh's early days as mines minister when he allocated his family company a petroleum exploration permit, sold later and not at a loss.
But such doings of Joh, just those we know about, would fill a large book.
Posted by colinsett, Tuesday, 31 May 2005 9:01:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder what happened to the millions of dollars Joh corruptly received from his time as Premier? Must have buried it at Bethany; probably in the same place they buried him. Who says you can't take it with you?

There must be something said for corruption if it results in the growth and prosperity that resulted from Sir Joh. Seems better than the disgraceful cronyism that we've wittnessed under Labor. Our present premier can't make a decision about what to have for breakfast let alone anything else. Government by committee is a great way to avoid making decisions and an even better way of scapegoating others.

Don't worry Colin, Sir Joh will never be forgotten. I wouldn't place any bets on you making it into "Who's Who in Australia" in the near future though.
Posted by bozzie, Saturday, 4 June 2005 11:40:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy