The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A work-life balance is more than picking kids up from school > Comments

A work-life balance is more than picking kids up from school : Comments

By Jackie Bailey, published 23/5/2005

Jackie Bailey muses on her struggle to find rewarding part-time work to complement her artistic aspirations.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I have no idea what the point of this story was, but the heading was misleading enough to have made me read it in the first place. Isn't job satisfaction a universal desire held by all employees, whether full-time, part-time, casual, on-call etc? Governments can only make policies that respond to societal NEED, not everyone's individual WANTS. Your feeling of fulfillment in your whatever mode of employment you choose is your own problem to be solved. The budget addresses more practical matters - ie: the needs of the broader community.
Posted by Rose C, Monday, 23 May 2005 11:33:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Rose, you're largely right - Jackie is talking about "wants". But politicians pander to perceived, acknowledged or tacit wants whenever it suits them, and sometimes in conflict to real needs anyway.

For instance, when they disregard the personal guts, determination and initiative of some people who want to become part of this country and whose attributes our society could well benefit from - in the name of pandering to the ignorant among us, who don't-want-people-like-that...

The distinction between needs and wants is not so clear cut, Rose, and sometimes it's only in the accompanying spin that an issue falls one way or the other.

Good luck Jackie. Don't let the churlish ones stop you realising your dreams. (And always follow up an emailed job app with a phone call!)
Posted by Fiona, Monday, 23 May 2005 3:19:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Send 'em back and don't come back. I'm not talking about refugees Fiona, I'm talking about people like you. I mean, it is obvious that you are alluding to refugees, but refugees is not what the article is about. Your comments belong to another article.

The article is about the pursuit of job satisfaction. Some people are grateful just to have a job, so Bailey should'nt be so picky!
Posted by davo, Monday, 23 May 2005 4:15:29 PM
Davo - a firm believer in mediocrity aren't you?

Jackie follow your dreams. We need more imaginative people.

However, don't expect politicians of either stripe to understand. They are limited to the lowest common denominator.

Good luck
Posted by Ringtail, Monday, 23 May 2005 4:24:42 PM
Jackie at least got it right when she acknowledges the futility of looking to politicians to solve her problems. Seems silly to be looking there in the first place.

Work - life balance is not the concern of government. It's unbelievable that anyone should think it is. Now that Jackie's stopped looking to the government as a panacea for all ills I'm sure she's on the road to happiness. Live your dreams Jackie - you will definately regret it if you don't have a go. But please don't whine about it.
Posted by bozzie, Monday, 23 May 2005 4:54:54 PM
I have been lucky enough to work part-time for 13 years now, with interesting, well paid, highly skilled work to do, but despite acknowledged achievement, I have not progressed into management. This is mostly to do with the boundaries I draw around myself so I can do my work and parent my now teenage daughters.
However, that is my point. A work colleague (much more senior than I am, in terms of title) once said to me, rather wistfully, that I had a balanced life. "You know what a balanced life is, don't you?" I replied. She looked blank. "It means you don't get all of anything."
People want a balanced life, but they don't want to give anything up to get it, and you have to. No CEO (she is now a CEO) has a balanced life, but, then again, nor does a full time parent. Yet some choose to be a CEO - and why shouldn't they - and some choose to be full time parents. The rest of us muddle about, parenting less than we'd like to sometimes and working less than we'd like to, too. That's life, I guess.
Posted by enaj, Tuesday, 24 May 2005 3:09:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy