The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Philippines - three decades of terrorism > Comments

The Philippines - three decades of terrorism : Comments

By Paul Wilson, published 24/5/2005

Paul Wilson recounts three decades of attempts to deal with terrorism in the Philippines.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
there is no civil war in the southern philippines. kindly conduct a more accurate observation on what is going in Mindanao.
Posted by mickey, Wednesday, 25 May 2005 11:08:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is pretty decent description of what's been happening. I hope you don't mind, I've taken the liberty of posting a copy, and a link back to this site, on the following forum:

http://www.worldsarmedforces.com/viewtopic.php?p=5792&sid=49b37f73bae22755d090502b85d13f3f#5792

Mickey, although Mindanao is a not really a war zone, you cannot deny that that there is a very real low-intensity conflict going on. For example, would you like to take the dawn bus between Tacurong and Davao city?

We are a country that is at war with itself. Why else would our armed forces be so pre-occupied with internal defense matters?
Posted by adroth, Wednesday, 25 May 2005 2:40:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe the article should have included the terrorism of the Spanish and US governments during their invasion of the Philippines.
The figure of 600,000 deaths is often quoted as the price paid for resisting the US invasion.
John.
Posted by Peace, Monday, 30 May 2005 5:41:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've just returned from three weeks in the Philippines, mainly in Central Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago. Something about the battles, airstrikes, and ambushes certainly looks like a war. Perhaps we are at the scrappy tail end of a war between the MILF and the Government, but armed conflict continues with the Abu Sayyaf, elements of the MNLF, and some of the MILF. There is also a military campaign continuing against JI. Unless, of course, you consider it normal policing to bomb and rocket a string of houses suspected of containing wanted criminals - criminals whose companions carry mortars, RPGs, machine guns and other such gear
Posted by MCT, Tuesday, 31 May 2005 4:31:06 PM
Yes, there is a war in Mindanao, however, not ALL of Mindanao is a war zone. Which parts of Mindanao did you actually go to? Did you go to Agusan? How about Davao Oriental?
Posted by adroth, Tuesday, 31 May 2005 4:36:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On this trip I went to Cotabato City, and radiated out into the marsh area and up to the mountains approaching Lanao Del Sur. I also went to Zamboanga City, Basilan, and Jolo. Last year I drove around Basilan, stayed in Zamboanga City, and went to Davao, driving from there through Kidapawan to Lake Sebu for a T'boli festival, and then up to Cotabato City. Last year I also went to Pikit, Buliok and a fair few other places around central Mindanao.
Lake Sebu was beautiful and I would love to go back for a holiday. Jolo was also beautiful - one of the most beautiful places I've been - but it's not on my holiday itinerary just yet. Basilan, however, is promising.
I know that all of Mindanao is not war zone (although the cops and soldiers on the Western side getting whacked in ambushes by the New People's Army might disagree). But there's some war going for anyone who wants a bit.
Posted by MCT, Tuesday, 31 May 2005 5:04:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy