The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Howard's track record as second-longest serving PM > Comments

Howard's track record as second-longest serving PM : Comments

By Peter McMahon, published 18/5/2005

Peter McMahon asks what has John Howard done for Australia during his years as Prime Minister?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Rainer, you are obviously hanging around the wrong people. Seriously though, totally agree with your stance and the article, thank you Peter, for articulating exactly what is wrong with this govt. with JWH at the helm. It's all about the economy and bugger the people. I agree that the govt doesn't have that much control over the economy, but the spin they put on the Labour Party last election blinded a lot of people (not that the ALP has got it all figured out by the way). Whilst it may be good that the mortgage has been paid, and there's money in the bank, the kids have got rickets from eating bread and jam for the last decade. A false economy this govt promotes. Under Hawke/Keating, I was very proud to be Australian, I felt that we were moving forward into the 21st century. Now, I am ashamed, especially on our human rights and indigenous fronts. And whilst no one wants to go back to 18% interest rates, Paul Keating to me, can rest on his laurels as a great PM, especially with Mabo.
Posted by Di, Sunday, 22 May 2005 1:05:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why do the left cling to their cherished human rights sacred cow in the face of a relatively sound economy?There is a balance of rights and responsibilities,and the left are flawed in both judgement and emphasis when they balance their scales.

The Hawke/Keating era lasted some 14yrs,they had plenty of time to make the economy work.Yes Bob did some good ,sound economic reforms but Keating left us with a $90 Billion deficit ,which we are still paying off,the recession we had to have and many hard working people in absolute desperation.They desreve to be in the political wilderness and still have not learnt their lesson.

To think I used to vote for those bastards.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 22 May 2005 5:58:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
does the term 'two tenths of sweet f... all' still ring true for anybody else? this man, his cold blooded policies and his unctious neo-racist attitudes have blown whatever tenuous wellspring we had of goodwill in the region through his rusted on 'deputy sherrif' badge and 'look at me I'm with the biggest guy on the block' mentality...whether he admits to it or not, the odious little troll. we're NOT the same warm and fuzzy nation of loved world trekkers we all thought we once were...nowadays, we're known for all the wrong reasons, and avoided as often as we're sought out. will nobody rid us of this troublesome fellow?
Posted by omygodnoitsitsitsyou, Monday, 23 May 2005 12:15:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well said last poster OMIGOD etc. Arjay, you are obviously much better off now than you were under the previous govt. I cannot figure out how anyone in their nice warm neck of the woods cannot figure out how JWH has turned back the clock on the ones that can not afford, or do not have access to that nice warm neck in the woods.

Yes, the ALP have got more problems than good opposition leaders and potential ministers. But to say that this is a preferred lifestyle and bugger the rest? There but by the grace of God (and govt) go I. And this is the bedsore of this festering govt.

Some of us are better off, but the haves and have nots have widened considerably and that is because of the lack of social policy happening. This govt wants us all to be white (or aspiring to be), middle class-aspiring upperclass, socially upwardly mobile, breed same, and never get sick. If you don't fall into that category, you're pretty much out there on a limb. One of the most obscene comments i have ever heard a politician make was Peter C. saying "One for Mum, One for Dad and one for the economy".

If the govt is encouraging we should breed for the sake of this country, (which they have)i find it a tad scary! This and selling off Telstra? They don't know the proverbial from clay about the economy but they'll dress it up in nice bows and ribbons for the punters who will vote for them because they have the mortgage and are terrified of change. (ie Interest rates going up)
Posted by Di, Monday, 23 May 2005 6:45:19 PM
omygod...,I don't want to be all things to all nations.I don't give a stuff about what some trendoid lefty thinks about our country.It is more important that we maintain our financial integrety and social cohesion.These are the essence of our survival,not some idealistic bleeding heart with unrealistic aspirations of our miniscule population changing the injustices if the world.There are 20 million refugees and at least a billion on the breadline.We gave them better food technology,medicine for disease but no education about the need for contraception.As a result the world population explodes and we will suffer more wars fighting over limited resources.Our feel good intentions of wanting to help without contraception backup have created this crisis.Well which will it be?
War ,disease or contraception?

I like this country,and if fortress Australia is necessary,so be it
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 23 May 2005 9:21:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We can disagree as much as we like with Howard's line, but we have to recognise that his is a government that a very hefty slab of Australia's population is more than satisfied with. To say, in effect, that all Howard voters are idiots is to suggest that the population of Australia is not competent to choose its own government. Not very democratic, that.

Voters tend to choose governments based on their perceptions of their own lives, not on the opinions of people in other countries. If people want to vote for a relatively healthy economy and what they perceive as social cohesion, then we can hardly be surprised that Howard keeps winning.
Posted by Ian, Tuesday, 24 May 2005 2:12:48 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy