The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Learning a lesson from the Butcher of Bundaberg > Comments

Learning a lesson from the Butcher of Bundaberg : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 6/5/2005

Nicholas Gruen argues we should turn Dr Patel’s outrage into better hospitals

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I could not agree with Mr Gruen more. However, first we need to get rid of what I call the "Cult of Managerialism" where institutions seem to exist for the benefit of their managers rather than genuine stakeholders.
Quality management techniques terrify the modern manager as they quickly show up the fact that it is not the management alone that make things work. This then calls into question the role of the manager and threatens both their self esteem, peer rating and BONUSES.

The modern manager: The only job where the incumbent can arbitrarily define their job parameters and the demand big bonuses...just for doing their job.
Posted by Johnno, Friday, 6 May 2005 12:51:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There is logic inherent within big institutions such as Qld Health and especially in terms of this institutions behavior and its political relations that appears to go unscrutinised every time we face a public scandal and want to hold public hearings and Royal commissions. I fear this inquiry will again fiddle around with and on the edges of this logic and make recommendations accordingly.

In other words what is most dangerous in these inquires is its inability to comprehend and define the rationality of administration of public good that our hospital system is meant to deliver and in this case those issues and processes of transparency and accountability that surround Bundaberg's Dr Patel saga.

Without a clear and honest account of the qualitative deficits of the hospital and the system of administration that supports it (ie, the truth surrounding its rational) this inquiry will once again treat symptoms as the cause.

While correlations can be made with the manufacturing of cars, I fail to understand how this can be applied to what are inherently human situations where the worst possible outcome is human death.

Yes issues of efficiency must be attended to but more importantly health systems exist and prosper only within the realm of the ethical confidence and loyalty that the community it serves accords it.
Posted by Rainier, Saturday, 7 May 2005 5:05:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy