The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pope John Paul II's message to Indigenous Australians > Comments

Pope John Paul II's message to Indigenous Australians : Comments

By Stephen Hagan, published 27/4/2005

Stephen Hagan reflects on a speech given by Pope John Paul II to Aboriginal Australians in Alice Springs, 1986.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Stephen , fat chance with the prime minister . Yet a strange thing is, i read where he said, how significant and profound in his political life, was when on his trip to northern Australia, he attended an important ceremony with Aboriginal Elders . BUT He seems unable or unwilling to break the strangling shackles of HIS party and its still happily Colonising coalition partner, the Nationals, for the betterment of our Aboriginal brothers and sisters .

It seems Malcolm Fraser has considerably more understanding of human nature, as did Pope John when it comes to Blackfellow issues .
Posted by kartiya, Wednesday, 27 April 2005 11:35:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Our family, like most Indigenous people we keep company with, have moved away from the maintenance of club loyalties to a partiality for cheering on teams with significant Indigenous representation. If the team loses its Indigenous players, they also lose us as supporters. Sounds insular? Well that’s the way it is."

It's not insular, it's racist.
Posted by Grey, Thursday, 28 April 2005 7:14:26 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hello grey , where did the quote come from ?, cheers, kartiya.
Posted by kartiya, Thursday, 28 April 2005 9:15:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have to agree with you Grey. Could you imagine if a white person said they only support Geelong or Western Bulldogs because there are so few indigenous people playing for them.

Unfortunately I got to this sentence and then didn't bother reading the rest of it for another day because of such as stupid statement.
I enjoy football because of great players - not great indigenous players.

Anyway, it is a real shame you opened up with such utter nonsense Stephen because the rest of the column wasn't actually too bad.

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Thursday, 28 April 2005 11:33:16 AM
I didn't realise this forum was about football, I thoughtit was about John H and his inability to extend his "Christian" values to Australia's indigenous society (and not only the ones that play sport" Liked the article and now have a little bit more respect for the dearly departed "P" than i previously did. But isn't it great to be on a Vatican Platform and spout platitudes about this and that and never be held for ransom - as little J knows and chooses to ignore. The Pope banging on about indigenous affairs in Australia while he visited is a bit like a Hallmark greeting card - he means it, he sends it and then we can all tuck it away in it's drawer because Johnny's never going to lick the stamp and post it. May his tongue get trapped on the envelope.
Posted by Di, Thursday, 28 April 2005 8:21:41 PM
jpII was certainly a wonderful man who did good works for all of humanity - sensible really given his position.

thanks stephen it was nice to be reminded about his compassionate position toward aboriginal people here in australia. it is a shame that his words didn't fully hit home with our successive governments. compassion and economic rationalism just dont mix.

regarding the footy, my family is exactly the same as are many others that i know. i hardly see how its racist to support people from your own cultural heritage it's a natural human trait that can be found in olyimpic games spectators and rugby league fans alike.

those aboriginal sporting heros are fantastic role models to our communities whether they come from there or not. they help to break down barriers that are a part of institutional racism that exists in australia. im proud to support them and follow them from team to team in their football career. i'll also object to be calling racist for doing so because its too akin to reverse racism claims that i just dont buy into.
Posted by kalalli, Monday, 2 May 2005 8:40:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy