The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Charles and Camilla - what a fiasco! > Comments

Charles and Camilla - what a fiasco! : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 8/4/2005

Greg Barns argues the Royal wedding between two divorcees proves just how fragile the monarchy really is.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I think its an absolute travesty, when all that the Royal family stood for has now become a huge joke. Who cares if Charles marries Camilla, he lost all respect from British people when he treated Princess Diana the way he did.
For the Queen to allow Charles to marry a divorced woman, who has obviously no morals or credibility anyway, and expect us to accept him to succeed his mother to the throne then his is sadly mistaken.
I feel sorry for his sons, how dare Charles get on his moral highground about the people he is supposed to serve, and wonder why we dont support him over his wedding to someone none of us have ever liked.
Posted by Mario and Abby, Saturday, 9 April 2005 1:36:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tell me it isn't true! According to my newspaper this morning, 1.46 million Australians watched the Charles/Camilla wedding.

That's fifty percent more than tuned in to either the pope's funeral or the wedding of Mary Donaldson, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark.

C'mon Australia, where are your priorities?!
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 11 April 2005 9:25:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What do you mean Pericles?

27% of us are Catholics, most of us wouldn't have known that Denmark was a monarchy before our Mary, and all of us will someday have King Charles III as our head of state.

Seems like we've got our priorities spot on.
Posted by Cranky, Monday, 11 April 2005 9:52:11 AM
Pericles, I'm sure Mary is a sweet girl and all, but why should Australians be so parochial as to only watch celebrity weddings involving people born on the same island as them? It's a big world, and I don't see why we should be afraid to be part of it.

Meanwhile, republicans in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the UK have apparently formed a new organisation through which they will work together to try and abolish one of the things they have in common. The irony is delicious.
Posted by Ian, Monday, 11 April 2005 12:10:24 PM
The exclamation mark at the end was supposed to indicate a high level of TIC (tongue in cheek).

Very little that went before would have led anyone to expect this level of disparity in the public's interest in the three events. Given the acres of newsprint dedicated to the demise of the pope, and the endless womens' mags stuffed to the gills with adulation of our "Slip Inn" princess, it would have been reasonable to expect a reversal of the numbers.

I was comparing and contrasting these journalistic representations with the public's actual reaction to these events, a contrast that I found amusing.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 11 April 2005 3:28:35 PM
Mario and Abby - why does Charles need the approval of you or anyone else. Just because you do not like Camilla does that mean Charles cannot fall in love and marry her. Last time I checked, universal acceptance of a marriage wasn't necessary - only that a man and woman wanted to spend their life together.
It amzaes me that so many people have feelings of such hate against Charles, the wedding and the royal family in general.
I voted for a republic, it didn't get up so what. Wasn't Chuck's fault.
It is funny how some people are puzzled by the public emotions of Catholics following the death of the pope yet the same people have such virulent, emotional hatred for the royals.
Republic or monarchy makes know difference to the day to day life of Australians.
I haven't seen Charles object to any Australians getting married. so why should we of him.

t.u.s
Posted by the usual suspect, Tuesday, 12 April 2005 5:41:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy