The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Quality of aged care: Will you still need me, will you still feed me? > Comments

Quality of aged care: Will you still need me, will you still feed me? : Comments

By Kym Durance, published 30/3/2005

Kym Durance argues we need to payi our aged-care workers better if we are going to have a quality industry

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Kym, your article was excellent. I lost my dear and beautiful father to Australia's aged care "system", having direct contact with it gave one a personal insight into all angles, beginning with the hospital setting, right across to the residential care setting.

I started to do some research into it at the time, as the "aged care system" was all very "new" to my family. The more we learned, the more inconsistencies, and inadequacies, on many levels, we found. So much so, I setup a website to try and raise awareness for aged care issues.

I will be continuing to advocate for our elderly and frail in Australia: agedcarecrisis.com

Regards,
Lynda.
agedcarecrisis.com
"where little voices can be heard"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Unfortunately for elderly and frail citizens in Australia, aged care hasn't gotten the respect, political clout, or resources it so desperately needs. It is the Rodney Dangerfield of healthcare."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Posted by Lynda, Thursday, 31 March 2005 7:56:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Kym for your article. I regularly provide assistance at an aged care facility - it is a recent building, constructed in 2003. The amenities are beautiful with views across a valley.

I know from working with them, that the staff are a dedicated team of Care workers, Trainee nurses as well as a full time RN Div 1.

The pay rates for the workers (except the Div 1) are between $14 to $16 per hour. A pittance for the wonderful work they do. As a comparison a PA (secretary) can earn between $20 to $30 per hour.

It seems the caring professions continue to be undervalued - yet they provide the most important contribution to us all. We will all become frail and elderly.

Seems that the pollies forget they were ever helpless dependant children and with their pension plans they don't have to worry about their twilight years.

I really enjoy the company of elderly people - they have so much to offer in terms of their experience and insight. Aged care really needs a higher profile and I believe this is slowly happening but good quality staff are difficult to retain at such low pay rates.
Posted by Ringtail, Thursday, 31 March 2005 5:06:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have been a Div 2 nurse for 28 years training in Geriatrics. I am a dedicated and passionate nurse. Currently working as a PCA (carer) at a beautiful private facility for past 2 years. Everything is in place for us to deliver quality care to our residents but unfortunately I work along side other carers who do not have formal qualifications or training and deliver care to residents that is not appropriate, disgusting and should not be tolerated.

By some staff, I have seen residents being verbally and physically abused including foul language used uupon residents (and staff at times), antagonising residents, including witnessing residents being hit, pushed, roughly handled and some staff not using manual handling aides that exist, - resulting in injuries to the resident. I could write all day about horror stories. They all come under the heading of "elder abuse and neglect."

I blame the Government for allowing nursing home facilities to employ unskilled and/or untrained staff. Yes, we are paid a pittance for the work we do. I could earn more money working as a check-out chick at a suupermarket. But that is not what I want to do. I want to deliver the best possible care that I can to the residents.

It is a very physically and mentally draining and demanding job. It is also rewarding and challenging for some of us. As a carer I do not just deliver direct personal care, I am also a waitress, laundry person, cleaner and anything else that is asked of me.

I have become the "dibba dobba" at my place of employment, reporting carers to management who do not deliver best practice care/nursing to residents. I will add it is not just carers, but I have found myself reporting Div 1 nurses for the questionable care they also provide to residents.
Posted by marnie, Friday, 1 April 2005 10:40:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am an aged care operator (private for profit) and stuggle to pay wages to retain my staff but have sacrificed my proftiability because I hope to save in the long run through preventing turnover.

It is hard though when the Commonwealth increases funding by 2.1% a year and all costs are increasing at rates in excess of that. I just get further and further behind each year. Unless the user fees are deregulated there will be limited further investment in this industry.
Posted by Russ, Sunday, 3 April 2005 7:33:22 PM
I wouldn’t worry about it too much marnie. When the do-gooders get their way and euthanasia is introduced all the families will clear out the oldies homes pretty quick. If you don’t think so have a look at this report from the British Helsinki Human Rights Group about the situation in Holland. http://www.bhhrg.org/CountryReport.asp?ChapterID=144&CountryID=18&ReportID=24&keyword=

The fact is that one of the primary duties of government is to look after its citizens who cannot look after themselves. If the government stopped wasting money maybe it could properly provide for these people, as well as the physically and mentally disabled and the people who care for them.
Posted by Cranky, Sunday, 3 April 2005 11:16:11 PM
In reply to Russ: I realise the issues with nursing home facilities and funding allocated. It obviously is not enough as you said. But hopefully you do have good staff who provide the care that should be delivered and deserved of by the residents. Let me say in response to my initial letter, that I, as much as it is difficult and stressful to work with SOME staff who do not have adequate qualification/training - there are many many unqualified and not formally trained carers who ARE very very good carers.

Just this week, 2 particular Agency staff members employed at the facility I work for, obviously have not MUCH TRAINING. One of these carers who was actually a Div.2 showered a lady then dressed her, only for a permenant staff member later to find that the residents' bra was on back to front, and instead of underpants, this person had put on a spencer as a pair of pants. The other carer was allocated showers and sponges to specific residents - only to ask - "how do you do a sponge? Have to question how she got a job with the agency - her background is 'homecare'.

To Cranky - are we not getting a little off track here? I don't believe your posting of your words and article link had anything to do with what I was saying or what the forum is about. And please don not tell me not to worry because I do.
Posted by marnie, Monday, 4 April 2005 11:26:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy