The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Education research: a nebulous miasma of jumbled words and ideas > Comments

Education research: a nebulous miasma of jumbled words and ideas : Comments

By Peter Ridd, published 7/3/2005

Peter Ridd argues that we are not getting value for money from educational research.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Colin ,just because you haven't heard or experienced a particular concept that is averse to your natural order,doesn't mean that it doesn't exist."Equal achiever"was coined by myself to describe what the leftest educationalists have trying to achieve,that is also reflected in many of their report cards.ie meaningless,banal,obscure and indefinable interms of their own critera.This cosy arrangement also allows many teachers to be unaccountable in terms of producing real outcomes.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 25 May 2005 10:39:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think lots of "education research", such as "thinking style", "post-structural xxx", is complete crap. It's for losers who cannot do real scientific research. Little (if not none) of such research has led to any advancement of real knowledge or improved the quality of students. "Education" should not be regarded as an academic discipline to begin with, just like "breastfeeding" should not be a college major, though is something important that certain people do on a daily basis. To dream up all kinds of intangible words and concepts to turn it into "research" is just silly, like the Emperor's New Clothes. Shame on you guys. Take a look at a real research paper/thesis written by a mathematician, a historian or a chemist. Stop bullshXXting for a living.
Posted by Bradley, Monday, 6 June 2005 5:25:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A SIMPLE RECIPE FOR "EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH":

(1) Find some existing mumble-jumble and make it even longer by adding some strange words
(2) Invent some new words or combination of words that don't exist in the dictionary
(3) Take something really simple and obvious from education (e.g. students prefer to see blue ink than green) and make invent some new language (but still in ENglish) it sound really compicated
(4) Let students fill out some questionnaire and feed the data blindly into SPSS, out comes a bunch of t-statistics, p-values and correlation coefficients while the researcher cannot even justify why the population can be assumed to be Gaussian.
(5) Mix well
(6) Establish some journals and degree programs that specialize in the abovementioned bull crap.

Outcome: of course, a huge success for education, since someone who failed MATH001, PHYSICS001, STAT001, PSYCH001 can now get a PhD! Praise the Lord!
Posted by Bradley, Monday, 6 June 2005 5:40:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Any thoughts? Too ashamed to speak you people out there who bullshXt for a living?
Posted by Bradley, Wednesday, 8 June 2005 1:05:56 PM
Bradley wrote: "Any thoughts? Too ashamed to speak you people out there who bullshXt for a living? "

I think perhaps Bradley that they can see that your arguments have already been discussed and refuted by previous posts - so why bother replying. Your post is just a troll, isn't it? I'm a programmer and ex-physicist who hapened to do a grad. cert. in higher education back when I wasd lecturing. It was a great experience, and, as I said, there is valuable stuff there. Don't knock something just because you are ignorant of it.
Posted by Sams, Wednesday, 8 June 2005 1:14:24 PM
This is becoming tiresome. In response to my polite request for anyone to provide evidence of people seeking "equal achievement" we are told by Arjay that the concept exists because he made it up. If Arjay were to actually read the research that he ignorantly abuses, he'd see that discussions about equality of outcomes not being confused with equality of opportunity have been around for decades.

You see the difficulty in belittling something you don't know enough about?

And Bradley, it really isn't very civilised to disapprove of something just because you don't understand it. Show a bit of tolerance and you just might learn something!

This forum isn't on line opinion, this is on line ignorant ranting.

I'm unsubscribing - I work for a living and don't have time for this any more. Pity, it seemed like a good idea.
Posted by Colin, Wednesday, 8 June 2005 3:41:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy