The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Insiders V Outsiders: The implications for minor parties > Comments

Insiders V Outsiders: The implications for minor parties : Comments

By Geoff Ward, published 22/2/2005

Geoff Ward argues there should be a broad-based centre party for Labor outsiders and disillusioned Liberals.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
In the article, Geoff has belief in media systems such as the Internet to help produce more democracy. (EG. Disseminating opinion, organising support, policy input are now at the fingertips of all, at little cost and to great effect) .

However I became concerned that this is not occurring, after reading a comment by Phillip Adams in an article titled “Political realities of the one-party state” at…http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12177494%255E12272,00.html

“The other day I asked Bob Carr if he'd noticed the net changing Australian politics and his emphatic response was, "no, not at all". Despite the strident blogs, the exuberant conspiracy theorists and the new tribalisms of the web, it's hard to see solid evidence of significant impact. Yet.”

Now I am personally concerned if the Internet has not made much difference to politics within this country. Hopefully it does so in the future, as it appears that mainstream journalists can be bought or pressured to basically lie, distort the truth, or provide only half-truths to the public. I also think that investigative journalism in this country is much in decline.

However it is becoming evident that there is a very wide gap between rural and city people, and while much of the country’s economic wealth and exports originally come from rural areas, the country’s politics is mostly played out in the cities.

Personally I would like to see all political parties taken out of the Senate, and the senate made up of independents only. Such a senate would then act as a true and impartial house of review, and provide over 70 different viewpoints when legislation is passed to it from the House of Representatives. It would also eliminate much of the rorting that is presently occurring in the Senate, that comes about because of the exchange of preferences at election time.

At present I think that most Senators don’t even know who they are supposed to be representing, or what policies they are supposed to be supporting, because of all the preference deals made with other parties at election time.

I also have some thoughts that the Democrats went into decline because they were too honest, too principled, and were not willing enough to exchange preferences with less principled parties. Eventually they have lost their power in the Senate because of this, and so the public has lost it’s third political party. Similar to what has happened to the Democrats, can also occur to other minor parties at present such as the Greens, or Family First.

In the “dog eat dog” world that is our present political system, a more principled party can readily loose out, and so does the voting public.
Posted by Timkins, Tuesday, 22 February 2005 1:40:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know why there is this belief that the internet will become a beacon of democracy - especially regards the weblogs etc published online.

A lot of the people who are active bloggers or visit sites such as this probably have an interest in the topics being discussed any way, they don't look on the internet as the only source of info, it is extra information to go with broadcast and print journalism.

In other words, they attract the people who are most interested in politics any way.

There are also demons in internet journalism and political debate.

As witnessed on this site all the time, debate often degenerates into a slanging match between opposing sides - people taking a hard line either way. It seems the internet is a way to attract extreme views and often the middle ground is lost.

Also, the internet, unlike print and broadcast arms of the media (excluding news websites linked to newspapers and tv, radio stations)has very few restrictions on what can and can't be published.
There is more room for lies to spread online because the bloggers aren't bound as much in a legal sense. You can say whatever you like.
The ratio of news to opinion in traditional journalism sources would be a lot higher than content published on the net.

Journalism can be a pretty tough job and the journos i work with and know are honest people. No-one i have associated with has ever got a tap on the shoulder by Messrs Murdoch or Packer and told what to write and their copy always goes in as is.

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Tuesday, 22 February 2005 5:17:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I heartily agree with the need for "a broad based centre Party." I believe, even more fundamentally, there is a need for a viable alternative to the Coalition. Labor will not cut it. They just don't get the fact that the voters do not want untalented non-entities running the country at the behest of backroom factional bullies. I am hopeful that the Democrats, with their new incentive to renew their party, will step forward to fill the gap.
Posted by Terry, Tuesday, 22 February 2005 5:50:27 PM
Whether or not there is a need for a new political party, there is neither the will nor the ability in this country to create it. The present well-entrenched system of patronage is unlikely to wish to disturb the system that has so comprehensively feathered so many nests in the past. Anyone with the temerity to launch an alternative to the existing power cartel will have to over-bid the incumbents, which will not be a pretty sight.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 22 February 2005 6:09:26 PM
Labour outsiders and disillusioned Liberals should be spending more time with their grandchildren and considering taxation issues regarding transfer of wealth to future generations, rather than developing obscure theorems about the influence of technological change on political processes. Are you around Saturday night Dad , can you babysit, we want to go see the Waifs??

Dennis
Posted by wand, Tuesday, 22 February 2005 9:51:23 PM
Wand is right about all that stuff that he/she said.

That is a terrible and schematic article, it is incoherent and nonsensical. It is filled with bizarre paranoid conspiracies. I would say it somewhat differently if I could, but everyone else seems to find the article fine.

The Greens had a swing of 2%, gaining 7% of the Reps vote, 1% more than the so-called outsiders party of the Nationals (by article's regional definition). Where is the substance to claims that the Greens did relatively poorly? Rather than simply stating a contentious conclusion in an opinion article, you should back it up with a link to another article that mentions the arguments, or provide your own.

Any arguments or links to this idea are appreciated.
Posted by Penekiko, Tuesday, 22 February 2005 11:04:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy