The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Disability Support Pensions: the myths and the facts > Comments

Disability Support Pensions: the myths and the facts : Comments

By Andrew McCallum, published 15/2/2005

Andre McCallum argues that the disabled unemployed need more support to find work, not more hurdles to jump.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Spot on, Andrew. I have been on DSP for over a year now after a long battle with depression. Depression is one mental illness that has been previously often ignored, even today many people don't accept it & say that a person with depression is "putting it on" a notion that to me is offensive in the extreme.

As to discrimination, it was also a factor precipitating my downfall as I endured almost consistent discrimination in the labor market as a transexual. Otherwise, I am caucasian and described by some as intelligent, strong-willed and articulate [though some of certain moral bent substitute the latter two for having trouble with authority or non-conformist behavior].

Employers have got to change. Otherwise any changes made by Government will count for nought. As to the notion of the government's proposals being 'reforms' I reject this as 'reforms' are generally intended by definition to bring about improvements through change. I refer to the proposals as 'proposed changes'.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Tuesday, 15 February 2005 10:03:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Informative article! The govt. has allowed the innuendo about DSP recipients to continue for too long in the media without providing us with some statistical info.
A good breakdown of the reasons for the increases in DSP in the last 10 years.
I'm sure there have been some rorters. There are always a few that slip through the net, just as there are inside traders and white collar tax evaders that never get caught. But prosecuting the majority of honest recipients to stop a few by trying to make the pension too painful to put up with to encourage them to work?
Doesn't seem right, making the lives of genuine sufferers who already struggle financially and physically/mentally more stressful.
Hopefully the govt. listens to 75% of us!
Posted by oceangrrl, Tuesday, 15 February 2005 10:15:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You've got to be kidding.Mandouh Habib was on a disability pension in Aust. before his incarseration by the yanks because he was feeling stressed?He had more reason to feel stressed after they had finished with him.He was touring Afganistan and other countries on DSP whilst supporting a family.There are 650,000 on DSP.One in six Australians of working age are now being supported by the tax payer.

I know people in wheel chairs and mental diabilities who hold down full time jobs,and are punished by the system that feely supports bludgers.I've been there,the best thing for a lot of mental disorders is a good dose of survival and family support.People just need a purpose in life.Survival is the best remedy.

I won't let this whimpish leftist mentality get away with such bullshit,that only serves their own indolence and victim mentality.
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 16 February 2005 9:28:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay - I worked and paid tax for 40 years, my 3 children in their 30's have always been fully employed taxpayers. I live alone and for past 4 years I have existed on DSP $500 per fortnight because of arthritis. do you have a parent with arthritis?
Posted by Brownie, Wednesday, 16 February 2005 10:07:21 PM
Brownie ,I'm angry at those who've never tried or worked in their lives.Not those who who are genuinely disabled.How many bludgers have you unknowingly supported throughout your life?The point is ,that if we don't get the balance right now,the next able generation will end up in poverty and the genuinely disabled will have to beg in the streets as they do in 3rd world countries.
Paul Keating called it,"A Monkey's Delight" or was it,ah yes "Banana Rebublic"?
Posted by Arjay, Wednesday, 16 February 2005 11:12:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well Arjay, I've supported quite a few bludgers in my time. The National Party first springs to mind. The private health insurance industry came second for no particular reason. And the British Royal Family makes up the trifecta.
Posted by DavidJS, Thursday, 17 February 2005 2:39:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy