The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What price liberty? > Comments

What price liberty? : Comments

By Colin Lamont, published 8/2/2005

Colin Lamont argues that sometimes it is necessary to deny civil liberties to some in order to guarantee them for all.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Well said Colin....

all I can say is "I just can't wait" for the 'due process/evidence/fair trial' crowd to get onto this one.

Col.. u will get flack over this. Not from me, but from a few who usually come on line. There will be rationalizations about 'human rights' etc.. there will be whining about due process, there will be sympathy attempts "The hooker who menstruated on him" there will be the 'nothing justifies torture' crowd.. they'll all be here soon.

Fortunately you have the runs on the board as few others of us have.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 7:45:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with David and Colin.In time of war the legal niceties get put on hold.A few will be unfairly treated however the majority will benefit.I've heard it mentioned today the Mr Habib may have rolled over and rated on his fold.It will interesting to see if he will be safe or will they give him a different identity and let him evaporate into our society.
Posted by Arjay, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 8:29:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Justice is for honest people. Why should dishonest people be able to hide behind the law? Honest people have nothing to hide. So all evidence should be admissable if it is relevant to a case.

In general, if you have something to hide, you have a problem. And the chances are you are harbouring some dishonesty.
Posted by mark, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 8:48:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mark, if by that you suggest the US authorities, (have something to hide).. refer colins article.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 9:01:18 PM
It might be worth mentioning that the "malay emergency" of a similar period, was fought with similar disregard for legal niceties and it was defeated.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 8 February 2005 9:02:34 PM
Col,

Thank God people are starting to realise that we're at war
The Anti Bush Brigade would have supported Hitler, in fact their comrades in the Middle East have a similliar agenda to their goostepping forefathers.
Funny how the cries of "kill the Jew" don't have any resonance with the left, who are much to busy with the USA to notice another antisemetic holocaust.
Posted by Sayeret, Wednesday, 9 February 2005 7:47:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy