The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Latham the victim > Comments

Latham the victim : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 24/1/2005

Greg Barns asks why anyone would want to enter politics, given the media hounding they can expect.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Sorry Greg,Lathem was good at dishing it out, being Labors chief head kicker,but he couldn't take it and did not listen to the wisdom from his own party.He got what he deserved.He did not have the tenacity or the heart for the long haul.He took his bat and ball and went home.
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 24 January 2005 7:52:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Greg. While Latham has made some mistakes, who amongst us hasnt? and do we really want 'superhuman' people as our politicians? or do we want 'real' people who live with and understand all the problems of living a so called 'normal' australian life?
Posted by vrinda, Tuesday, 25 January 2005 10:17:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I recall seeing Latham speak for the first time at an ALP function in Sydney mid-2004. I had been living overseas for several years and my last recollection of a Labor leader was Keating. With these memories as my template I was underwhelmed by what I heard on the night - 'ladders of opportunity' and 'get stuck in' speak was in over-drive. Having worked in advertising and marketing, I wondered whether present-day Labor leaders had received too much of an education in the vacuousities of 'branding' and the like. Still to me, an non-factionalized Labor supporter, he was our leader and that was that.

Six months on and he's gone, and no thanks to his own 'colleagues'. Though to be fair, given the circumstances, what was anyone to do? It was summer holidays. He was sick and sick of telling the media so.

Latham will be missed by the Labor party and the nation. He was different and promised so much more for Australia. Back to Beazley... whatever. Here we go again. Already, as a rank-and-file member I feel dislocated and adrift from my party. Latham was new, young, fresh and filled us with hope against the odds and nay sayers. He was a brilliant symbol of 'up yours!' to the opposition.
Posted by Instant Ramen, Tuesday, 25 January 2005 12:07:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So in the Canberra Crucible we end up with leaders who are able to hack the pressure? How dreadful. Are there, to Greg Barns' mind, preferable countries where the media and the politicians are more matey, and such things are covered up? In such a country would Mark Latham have actually become Prime Minister? That sounds far preferable.

There's a strain of commentary which always decries the "adverserial" nature of our institutions and culture, which has so held back the Anglosphere nations of the USA, Britain and Australia among others - basket cases all of them. When oh when will we learn to be more sophisticated and European?

By the way it's my first day posting comments on this site and I have to say I love the place. Thanks to the moderators for putting up such a genuinely wide range of intelligently argued views.
Posted by Ben P, Tuesday, 25 January 2005 5:04:42 PM
Mark Latham may have had an aggressive parliamentary career, which was cut short, but his intellectual contribution to the "third way", and his novel policy intiiatives will remain as monuments to what could have been.
Posted by David Mason, Thursday, 27 January 2005 1:34:46 PM
Oh a Latham apologist

One characteristic Latham shared with his mentor (Whitlam) - a capacity for arrogance which presumed he had a divine right to lead Australia in government.

Then he failed the "election test" and went off into a sulk
Just as his mentor failed the "sustainability test", was ejected by the Governor Generaln and went off in a sulk and has dined out on it ever since.

Now Latham - the master of the congaline comment - is some kind of "victim" because he could not organise the simple task of managing media interest - he should not be complaining - he should be thankful that anyone cares enough to bother him - unless we are talking of the ultimate arrogance that whilst the media did bother him -they just did not bother him "enough" to quell his monsterous ego.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 29 January 2005 8:31:20 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy