The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Welfare reform: One size doesn't fit all > Comments

Welfare reform: One size doesn't fit all : Comments

By Peter Saunders, published 18/1/2005

Peter Saunders argues that abolishing welfare categories is not the answer.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
One size does NOT fit all. You put together some valid arguments that such approach is likely to lead to outcomes totally opposite to the stated objectives of this policy.
Posted by Seeker, Wednesday, 19 January 2005 11:35:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All those on the dole should do 2 days a week work before they collect benefits.This could involve work in charities ,retirement villages etc.The main obstacle is the cost of workers comp.because many will feign an injury and will cost the employer substancially more.We need reforms to workers comp. that reward workers who don't claim,the same as no claim bonuses for car or house insurances.

To have so many people idle cost us more than social security payouts.The lure of crime and drug proliferation costs us even more in terms of insurances,violence, our own personal liberities and quality of life.There are many on DSP who are simply alcoholics or drug addicts,criminals or some dubious ailment.

As the 'Baby Boomers' retire some really hard decisions will have to made and many of these people will be forced to contribute.How can they if we don't insist that they learn the the necessary skills and develop the right attitudes towards work.

Paying out social security my seem an easy fix,but there are a lot more hidden costs we tend to ignore.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 23 January 2005 1:43:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A further issue to be managed in the pursuit of welfare reform is the services currently provided to disabled people to find jobs. There are a number of agencies funded to provide this service. If, as argued in the article, very few people with disabilities enter or re-enter the workforce, the value of these services needs to be evaluated.

LynF
Posted by LynF, Tuesday, 1 February 2005 10:35:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have a son on DSP he is handicapped and has been from birth. He completed his HSC, has attended tafe and tried very hard to find work. he is no blugger. And there are many like him out there. not all on DSP are alcoholics or druggies. But do have very genuine disabilities. My son and many of his friends (also disabled) cant get work or are they taken as 'not real people' because they are different. Many employers make up excuses why they are not suitable for the position offered. But anyone can see the real reason.. especially when the positione is said to be filled but the next day is advertised again...The government may not get it right all the time. But why pick on those who cant speak for themselves? This is my opinon and my experience.
Posted by themissus1964, Wednesday, 9 February 2005 10:24:09 PM
Peter Saunders, if you find that the work of single parenting is SO EASY, then I think you are SADLY MISSING the GREAT CONTRIBUTION that stay at home parents make towards their children.

Teaching children social skills within A FAMILY CONTEXT, is not something that can be taught at school. Tell me Peter Saunders, why should I be out working instead of picking my child up from her bus stop every day, listening to my childrens problems, helping them with their homework? Who would look after my children during the SCHOOL HOLIDAYS and on the days off when they are too stressed or tired to go to school?

I feel that it is IMPERATIVE that we AS A SOCIETY, value the choice to be a full time parent as a WORTHWHILE ENDEAVOUR.

The fallout from families under stress, litters our society already.

Do we really want more 'latch-key' kids, more parents too exhausted to have a decent conversation with their children? More institutionalization of the family with care providers having to step into the parent's role?

A child needs at least ONE PARENT home after a hard days work at school. Pity you weren't given the same consideration it seems!

THE JOB OF RAISING CHILDREN (WHO ARE AFTER ALL, OUR FUTURE ADULTS AND LEADERS), IS THE MOST UNDERRATED YET IMPORTANT JOB IN THE WORLD!!
Posted by KidsNeedParentHome, Monday, 18 April 2005 11:37:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy