The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mullin' over Mulan: 'Snot what you do, it's the way that you do it > Comments

Mullin' over Mulan: 'Snot what you do, it's the way that you do it : Comments

By Gavin Mooney, published 20/12/2004

Gavin Mooney discusses the ramifications of the mutual obligations and Australian aboriginal communities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
this is just snot funny!
Posted by omygodnoitsitsitsyou, Monday, 20 December 2004 1:12:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They are only doing this to us Aboriginal people to mucus around,
Posted by pertame, Monday, 20 December 2004 4:06:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given the relatively long history of photography in this country, and in particular the many published photos of snotty-nosed kids (especially of the indigenous variety), one could be forgiven for thinking there is someone in the Government or the PS with a long and painful memory of the dreadful affront these photos have caused to the body politic and to our "reputation". Finally the chance has arrived to do something about it - and hang the expense. You can bet that anyone who tries to publish any similar photo in future will immediately receive a "please explain" - probably on official note-paper!!
Posted by Pilgrim, Tuesday, 21 December 2004 4:45:35 PM
Contrary to Pilgrim's analysis, those photos show why the present PM will be unable to move onto the reconciliation arena, and for which he is probably very grateful. Can you imagine John returning to Kirribilli from his first tour of the settlements? (The First Lady, naturally, will be unable to accompany him, due to pressing matters of state.) He will have to remove his snot-flecked outer garments on the doormat, answer truthfully whether he allowed any of them to touch him, and then suffer the ignominy of a half-hour soak in dettol. In other words, show me a photo of any of this world's Janettes on a dirt floor surrounded by a group of unscrubbed kiddies, and I will admit the first step has been taken.
Posted by gavrilo, Friday, 24 December 2004 1:31:32 PM
I thank gavrilo for the insight into a particular mental state, much prevalent among our esteemed leaders. My own contribution, albeit with some irony, sought to highlight an equally prevalent and long-standing attitude to the earliest Australians. In terms of Federal "leadership" on this whole vexed issue, I am reminded of the words of the late David Low (esteemed cartoonist), who had Colonel Blimp say: "Gad Sir, reform is all very well, so long as it don't change anything". I suspect these words could have a wider application than Indigenous Affairs.
Posted by Pilgrim, Friday, 24 December 2004 2:21:41 PM
dear john and amanda , how about giving those kids some free hankies to get their noses up to speed, plus the bowsers. then give them enough good reasonably priced food , doctors and nurses and fair dinkum funded health programmes[like the rest of us have ] to enable them to improve their health and outlook over the long term . come on john and amanda , you can do it !!
Posted by kartiya, Thursday, 30 December 2004 1:33:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy