The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Exploding the nuclear family... > Comments

Exploding the nuclear family... : Comments

By Kay Millican, published 6/12/2004

Kay Millican argues that today's family structure is no longer that of the 50s nuclear unit.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Unbelievable!
Do you realise that because your partner is treated as a single parent (instead of being part of a married couple), that you come out ahead? So what if Centrelink don't recognise you as a family - you get to reap the rewards.

Don't underestimate the importance of a male role model for children. To often fathers are considered unnecessary - but you just have to look at the results to see the sort of influence they have on children. Young boys especially need a father figure - especially if you want them to respect and value women! Although in some cases the father isn't worth having around.

I'd suggest you stop complaining, before governments wake up and start treating single-sex families the same way they treat other families.

Posted by Craig, Monday, 6 December 2004 2:08:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't care if Kay and her partner have 100 kids. As long as couples (or single women for that matter) who have genuine fertility problems don't have to get in line behind them at the IVF clinics.

My wife and I both work. I don't get home until 8.30pm at night and I work Saturdays as well.Our children have to go to day care during the week. I accept that this is not best scenario for my children even though I get them ready in the morning and take them to day care and spend every Sunday with them. I wonder why people like Kay can't just admit the fact that it is not the best thing for their child to be raised without a father. I know that there's not a chance of her admitting this, but wouldn't it be refreshing?

Far from the fact that John Howards' "Utopia" of mum, dad and the kids not returning, it has never gone away. The traditional family unit has always been, still is, and will always be the foundation of society no matter how much the social engineers wring their hands and gnash their teeth.

Like Craig says, I wonder what the next article will be when governments recognise same-sex families and the Austudy allowance is pulled. Stop looking to the government to solve all of societies conundrums. Society should develop as society will without it being moulded and prodded by either the left or right of governments.
Posted by bozzie, Monday, 6 December 2004 5:41:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Onya Kay! A few years back I wrote a letter to the West Australian in reply to someone just like Craig, who was complaining about a particular woman claiming Centrelink benefits while her same-sex partner worked full time.

My reply was that, as a homosexual I would gladly take such benefits as small compensation for the inequality and bigotry. Since then WA has had massive law reform and we can enjoy the rights that others take for granted, like being at the bedside of my partner while he is in hospital.

I am constantly campaigning for the Federal government to end the loophole that allows same-sex couples to receive benefits not accessible by straight couples. Of course, the only way they can do that is to recognise same-sex couples as de-facto or co-dependants :-)
Posted by Collin Mullane, Tuesday, 7 December 2004 12:54:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Speaking for my family, those of my siblings, and most of my friends (90-95%), I'd say that the nuclear family is alive and well in the 21st century.
Posted by Jeff, Tuesday, 7 December 2004 1:19:43 AM
The government does not have to re-define "family" out of existence to satisfy less than half a percent of the population who live in same-sex relationships. Howard seems to make practical decisions for the good of the Australian public, not "anything-goes" pandering to minority groups. The nuclear family, biologically defined as male, female and their offspring, is the basic unit of society. It is also scientifically proven to be the best environment in which to raise children.

Also it's sad to see that you and your partner have deliberately deprived a child of his/her father.
Posted by ruby, Tuesday, 7 December 2004 6:00:44 PM
Ruby

What scientific evidence do you refer to? Please provide a reference for this extraordinary claim. I was very happy to deprive my children of their father because of his violence. Do you think that this sort of family is scientifically better for children? Do you know the rates of domestic violence in nuclear families?
Posted by Mollydukes, Tuesday, 7 December 2004 8:27:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy