The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'Big Brother' bares all > Comments

'Big Brother' bares all : Comments

By Wesley Metham, published 23/8/2005

Wesley Metham asks whether there was too much nudity on 'Big Brother'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I agree with Wesley Metham in most of this article, especially in regards to the liberationists and the conservatives not being nearly as far apart as they seem on the issue of sexuality. The fact that either side has a strong opinion on sexuality only highlights the fact that interest in sexuality, whether it be a positive or negative one, is inherent in human behaviour and always has been.
My opinion on whether it should be on TV or not is pretty straight forward. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it…predictable I know, but then, as the article suggested, it’s a subject that’s done to death anyway. A controversy about a TV show only reminds us how dependant on TV we are…something I find pretty depressing.
In a perfect world, controversy wouldn’t be about content, it would be about substance. I object morally to Big Brother because it’s trash. Why do we never hear a public outcry about a show because of how stupid it is? Isn’t that more dangerous to our youth, the potential to have them grow up to accept mindless mediocrity as entertainment? We shouldn’t worry about sexuality, because we’re all sexual creatures. We should, however, worry about moronic TV shows, because we’re not all morons.
In short, Wesley is totally right in suggesting we needn’t bother talking about it at all, if for no other reason than there’s much more important things to talk about. We’re better than this, so let’s not waste our time.
Posted by spendocrat, Tuesday, 23 August 2005 4:23:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm with spendocrat on this - couldn't give a toss about the nudity but have major prob w/ moronic TV.

Of course I don't have to watch it, and I don't, however this means I'm not watching an awful lot of TV. Guess that is probably a good thing. But I really hanker for some good entertainment sometimes.

On the rare occasion something worthwhile is broadcast eg 6 Feet Under. It is put on at unfriendly times - I'm either out or in bed. Can't tape it 'cos the channel overruns schedule with preceding programs.

Generally viewing public is treated with contempt by

a) Inconsistent viewing schedule

or totally patronised by

b) Putting on all this lifestyle pap.

Don't need lifestyle already have one. Want to be stimulated intelligently. Please. Feeling very frustrated. Want more Brenda, want her now.
Posted by Xena, Tuesday, 23 August 2005 5:54:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unfortunately I don't like Foucault, or his fellow French post Modernists. The problem that I have with them is my belief that Post-Modernism grew out of the French experience in the Second World War. Post-Modernism, in the area of history and governance, teaches, amongst other things, that there are no absolutes, in effect, no rights or wrongs.

The French in WW2 were amongst the worst collaborators with the Nazis of any country occupied by German forces, much worse than that fellow member of the Axis, Italy.

Post-modernism is, to me, a way of excusing the crimes of the French during the Second World War, by saying that there is no such thing as right or wrong, so therefore what the French did in support of the Nazi war effort, could not be considered as 'wrong'. In effect, wiping out responsiblity by removing culpabilty.
Posted by Hamlet, Tuesday, 23 August 2005 11:09:15 PM
Big Brother - Nazi's HUH?
Posted by Caelius, Wednesday, 24 August 2005 4:44:02 PM
spendocrat - 'we are better than this'?? Obviously not! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the entire series of the program, as I have enjoyed watching the five previous series. If this makes me a philistine, then so be it!
What do you suggest? Are we to spend our days being intellectually challenged by books, or Foucault and his friends? Are we to expand our minds in the halls of an art gallery? Are we to find pleasures in responding to forums on the net? Yes of course we can! But we can also flop ourselves down in front of the box at 7pm each week night and 930pm each Monday night and get all that and so much more! Just admit it - Big Brother is desgined for our viewing pleasure. And we love it.
Big Brother is just like any other article of popular culture - it is a direct product of.....us! This is who we are - 'perhaps we have reached a point when we should stop talking about it at all' - yes! (That includes you Wesley..!) Just shut up, watch and enjoy!!
Posted by Proteus, Wednesday, 24 August 2005 8:07:35 PM
Wesley as I told you your article is fairly interesting. I like the idea of transcending the debate by showing that the cleavage is unproductive and I agree with you on this particular issue. Thus, one major weakness might be that you could argue that the never ending opposition between liberationists and so-called conservatives is irrelevant to most contemporary issues, especially when mass culture is at stake. Therefore, I don't know if your main points are specifically matching the features of Big Brother itself or the liberationists/conservatives struggle as a broader issue.
Anyway, I am doubtful about your ability to be as convincing tomorrow with a racket in your hand on a tennis court! ;)
Posted by woody, Thursday, 25 August 2005 2:54:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy