The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Doing the flip-flop flap > Comments

Doing the flip-flop flap : Comments

By Walt Brasch, published 8/9/2005

Walt Brasch argues the only news the public seems interested in is scandal and the superficial minutae surrounding celebrities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Walt, the depth and subject matter of your analysis would surely do credit to Who Magazine.

To study the media writing trivia and the public liking trivia is truly a trivial pursuit.

By focussing on the trivial you yourself are perpetuating the inadequacies of the medio-fascist state continuum.

I salute you!
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 8 September 2005 3:17:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While they write and talk about superficial things like shoes, toupees and who drinks what, people won't question what is happening to their 'world'. Keep the populace ignorant and you will have no questions to answer. Whilst living in the USA for 3 years I was astounded at the lack of in-depth discussions, reporting and comment. Having returned to Australia 1 year ago, I found to my dismay that this country has fallen into the same superficial trap. Our children are our future and I fear what sort of leaders we are producing if all they can quote are movie star facts (usually made up), breast enlargements, plastic surgery and the like. Plastic fantastic.
Posted by tinkerbell1952, Thursday, 8 September 2005 3:39:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's a Brave New World!
Posted by spendocrat, Thursday, 8 September 2005 3:46:57 PM
Walt

Thanks for your article.

I must live in another world. I have heard the names of the people you are talking about. I don't have a clue who they are - nor do I care.

Cheers mate
Kay
Posted by kalweb, Friday, 9 September 2005 6:25:01 PM
What a knocker. All those stories are fundamental to the maintenance of Australian Values. How are our kids going to learn how to relate to each other and to Americans if they don't have some role models to emulate ? What do you want us to do - watch & read about boring people doing ordinary things? And how can we live happy lives if we are expected to think about national or international issues outside of the English-speaking world? How can we be happy if someone doesn't tell us what's fashionable to wear, buy, drive, think, eat, drink, hate, like, watch, listen to, ridicule, ignore, collect, throw away, occupy, fight, travel to, and much, much more ?
Henery
Posted by Henery, Sunday, 11 September 2005 11:39:00 AM
Right on Henery

And the Women's Magazine industry would collapse overnight.

No pretty skeletal covergirls anymore and the only highbrow analysis left inside would be Horoscopes. Apologies sisters.. :)

And if us guy's couldn't talk about Warnie's latest triumphs (off the field) we couldn't say nuffink.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 12 September 2005 4:56:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy