The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lost in illusions: the West's struggle for realism in a changing world > Comments

Lost in illusions: the West's struggle for realism in a changing world : Comments

By Vince Hooper, published 19/6/2024

Moreover, the rise of 'woke' culture in the West has shifted focus from strategic international issues to domestic social debates.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The West has lost the plot.

The West is on the way out.

By importing the Third World, the West will soon become the Third World.

Mass immigration, multiculturalism and people who can't speak English properly or at all.

All self-inflicted. Can't blame the people lined up to come here with the invitation to carry on the same way they did in the alien society they come from.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 19 June 2024 8:46:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have similar thoughts watching ABC Q&A which seems to be a bleeding heart competition. I'm now inclined to boycott businesses which proclaim their guilt over First Nations displacement. Feeling somewhat parched I was about to enter a coffee shop in a country town then read the sign on the door. We hereby acknowledge the so-and-so people as the original inhabitants. Well give it back then.

Posturing over supposed injustices is a lot easier than solving real world problems. The people who got gay marriage over the line should now solve housing affordability
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 19 June 2024 8:48:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Taswegian

I wonder how many of the "so-and-so" people patronise that coffee shop. I wonder how many non-aboriginals would decide to go elsewhere for their coffee. Did you?
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 19 June 2024 9:04:41 AM
ttbn I walked up a steep hill to a deli to get a drink. A more likely scenario is going to an event where the woke organisers ambush the crowd with an acknowledgement of country. In one case there had been no indigenous people there for a least a century. Next time it happens I'll make it clear I think the organisers are not based in reality.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 19 June 2024 1:16:52 PM
Taswegian

Good on you.

I wonder if ever we are unavoidably plunged into a welcome to our own country, it would be OK to turn our backs to it, as aborigines were seen to do at Rudd's 'sorry' ceremony.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 19 June 2024 2:40:40 PM
We live in a world of difference.
To negotiate this difference, we need TRUTHFUL, strong, and realistic principles to guide us.
We need to be able to compromise too.
But not too far.
Never forget who we are.
Never forget our basic principles.
Don't go too far off the beaten track.
Perhaps that is what we are doing?
Losing our identity in the chaos created by trying too hard to do the right thing?
We need to avoid distractions, and get back on track?
No more minority groups with absurd amounts of control?
Keep it simple seems to be a good principle.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Wednesday, 19 June 2024 3:57:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy