The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Queensland’s Olympic review misses the target > Comments

Queensland’s Olympic review misses the target : Comments

By Scott Prasser, published 25/1/2024

Although its chair, Graham Quirk, is not a Labor crony, being a former successful Liberal Brisbane City Council Lord Mayor (2015-2019), he nevertheless has been a long-term advocate of the Olympic Games.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Abandon the Olympic ship, it belongs now to the WOKE death squad.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 25 January 2024 12:00:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All well and good, but we are in it now. So, we'd surely do well, to make the best of them.

Take a leaf from Sydney. Let's show the world how it is done!

Bitching about it won't assist, neither will griping about which side of the political spectrum is staging it. After all, it is our games, Queensland, Australia.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 25 January 2024 5:09:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Don’t let over-hyping spoil the event !
Posted by Indyvidual, Thursday, 25 January 2024 6:22:36 PM
Indy. Hear, hear and well said.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 26 January 2024 9:40:28 AM
The only Olympic Games in several decades to be profitable was Sydney, where state GDP was estimated to have increased by 0.2% in the Olympic year. However, this was offset by falls of 0.2% in Queensland and Victoria as tourists chose the Olympics. As for “Queensland’s politicised public service just gives the advice government wants to hear rather than the advice it needs to hear,” I can attest to this as my insistence on sound evidence-based policy ended my career.

No other country wanted the Olympics, because none saw any benefit from it. And Queensland will not benefit. As an economic policy adviser to the Queensland government, I constantly and correctly showed that projects were unviable, they went ahead and failed, e.g. the Magnesium smelter fiasco. I found that department’s estimates of benefits from, e.g., a road tunnel or other infrastructure were inevitably proved wrong, with projects generally loss-making and never anything like claimed benefits. And such projects always took longer than projected.

I live along the road from the Gabba, so am aware of the frequent heavy traffic congestion in that area. The cost of congestion from a pointless rebuild would be enormous, and would inevitably continue for longer than projected.

The only rational policy is to bail out and apologize to the Olympic community.
Posted by Faustino, Monday, 29 January 2024 7:40:53 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy